XL1200 ltd problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XL1200 ltd problems

I own a 2000 XL1200 Ltd. I put it in the water for the first time this season last weekend. It ran just fine for about the first 15 minutes. After running at around 50 mph for approximately 15 minutes, I slowed to idle speed for approx. 5 minutes. I then sped up to planning speed, but it the ski woould not go over 43mph and I could hear the motor reving up then a seconds later it would drop in rpms then the rpms would go back up and so on. This problem happend last year. I have replaced the sevromotor and the CDI unit. These fixes did fix the problem for awhile, but the problem has retruned. The service department doesn't know what the problem is. The compression in each chamber is still good. I am currently at a lose of what to do.

It does sound like you have a bad powervalve controller (CDI), however I don't know why you would have a recurring problem like that. If you do have a second bad unit, I would be suspecting some outside source of the problem, like if you jump started the ski off a running car or something. Have you ever done that?

I would first make sure you battery is in good condition - fully charged and putting out full voltage - if low on voltage the computers will react strangely. If you can, replace it with a known good or new unit (charging it fully first).

Short of that you will probably need another controller.

Comment

No, I haven't jumped the ski off with a car or anything. I just replaced the battery back in Febuarary. I don't understand why it would run just fine at the beginning and then like s%$# after I have been running for awhile.

Comment

Well, like I said, let's verify the battery is good first. It may be low.

Comment

Where about is the CDI unit located at on this kinda ski??

Comment

It's inside the big black plastic box bolted to your bulkhead where your spark plug wires go.

Comment

Hi - I too have a 2000 XL1200 LTD. I am wondering if your problems are more to do with the fuel vapor lock problem due to an overheating cat/con? I am in the process of replacing my cat/con with a d-plate and t-7 chip from Riva. I would have a problem simular to this. Ski fires fine and ride for say 30-1 hr. Stop to take a brake and try to start back up. It would start but idle only. Pull back on the throttle and it would worr and stall out. Starved for fuel. Yamaha recommend some carb isolators. But they would not pay for them so I have chosen to replace the cat/con instead. I will know by next weekend if it works.
              2000 XL1200LTD<br />R&D Intake<br />D-Plate T-7 Mode<br />Free Flow Exhaust<br />Pump Plug Kit

Comment

Working...
              X