Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rope Stuck in Intake, Wondering how to go about getting it out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rope Stuck in Intake, Wondering how to go about getting it out?

My son was pulling someone today and ran over the rope with the jetski, cutting the rope. Not only did it cut the rope, but it also sucked the rope into the intake. We pulled some of it out but there is still a good amount stuck in there, I was wondering if anyone knew how i should go about getting the rope out; can I do it myself or do i have to take it to the shop?

Re: Rope Stuck in Intake, Wondering how to go about getting it out?

I've got a SL 750.
    You can pull the pump yourself.And then clean out the rope. But you will need new seals, sealant etc. from Polaris dealer or partsland.com.The Clymer manual spells it out.I bought the Sealant from local WalMart . 3M Fast Cure 4200.

Comment

I haven't looked at the bottom of the ski yet i am going to take it out of the water tomorrow, but can i just take out the intake cover without having to buy new seals?

Comment

You don't need new seals if you do this. . .

Unbolt the steering and trim linkages. Then there are 4 long bolts, not nuts that hold the sections of the pump together. The impeller and exit nozzle will come out. remove the rope, and bolt it back up. If you remove the ride plate or intake grate, you will need a tube of silicone to seal it all back up, but you don't need to remove them if you just seperate the pump sections. Just remember to hook everything back up, and watch out for the o ring that seals the driveshaft to the prop.

Hope this helps.

Comment

and when i do all of this do i really need to get in teh engine compartment that much, or can i do most of this from the bottom of the ski?

Comment

All of this is done from the rear of the ski, looking directly into the exit of the pump. The only thing inside the engine compartment will be to disconnect the battery, and maybe have someone hold the the driveshaft when you reinstall it to help to line up the splines with the engine.

Comment

When my son sucked the rope into my SLT780, we just proped the ski on her side using a few sticks, took the grate plate off, then poked and proded with a sharp knife and plyers for about an hour until we got the rope off the prop. It is a bit of a reach but it worked out with some patience. We used a bath tub type silicon stuff when re-attaching the grate plate.

Comment

Working...
              X