"New" '95 XP 717cc not running right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" '95 XP 717cc not running right

Well, my foray into the world of PWCs insn't going very well. Just bought the above ski and it runs like horse.... No accelleration until it sort of "kicks in" after a couple of minutes to get on a plane. No thumb position seems to matter (doesn't bog or hesitate per se) but its like it doesn't have power. Like its running on only one cylinder. But then the second kicks in. One on a plane, as long as you don't slow down, it seems to run fine. Then, when warm, it doesn't start. Plugs wet.

Since this is new (to me), should I just go ahead and rebuild the carbs to make sure they are ok? Anything else I should check/do to fix above problem, and/or avert future unkown problems?

Thanks in advance!
    Dave

PS, seems to have a Rossier pipe, msd water injection (which has been off, but doesn't seem to have any affect either way) as well as an aftermarket intake. I sure wish it was stock... do these parts affect what the carb settings should be initially set at if I decide to rebuild them??

Re: "New" '95 XP 717cc not running right

They do affect the carb settings but it does sound like it is the carbs. Or it could be the pump needs attention check the wear ring clearance and make sure your enitre pump is in order.

Comment

Re: "New" '95 XP 717cc not running right

try clipping back the sparkplug wires for a new connection at the sparkplug caps.
      It would accellerate better if the water injection were working properly.

It may need some fiddling with the low speed and high speed adjusters if it is running too rich or lean on the bottom end.

If in doubt, at least clean the carbs out before you eat a piston.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Re: &quot;New&quot; '95 XP 717cc not running right

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
        try clipping back the sparkplug wires for a new connection at the sparkplug caps.
        Just clip it and then slide the cap back over the wire? How do you make sure the cap makes contact with the wire? Sorry, newbie here...

Comment

Yes clip the ziptie then pull it out it will be snug so try screwing it off then clip to expose new wire and replace you will know when it is all the way in.

Comment

If you look inside of the sparkplug boot, you will see a screw that screws into the core of the sparkplug wire as you twist the sparkplug boot back onto the wires.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

Replaced the plug boot and it ran pretty good for a while. Had to idle through a no wake zone and ever since it won't plane out at all now. Won't rev up. Starts and idles, but won't rev, just smokes its sooo rich. Got back running at idle or just above for 1/2 mile, and then it wouldn't start again. I changed plugs assuming they just fouled and still no good. If I shut the gas off it would pick up so its obvioiusly just too rich right? Well, I've got carb kits coming from SBT so I hope that will fix this bugger. It has a rossier pipe and r&d intake on it so I'm wondering if I'm safe using factory specs as initial setting for tuning after the kit is on? I also noticed that it always smells like strong gas in the engine compartment?

Comment

Why would you use factory specs when you have an aftermarket exhaust and flame arresstors ?

Find the sorce of the gas fumes and fix it.

Rebuild your carbs and try again. If the carbs need rebuilding, then maybe it will run right when you rebuild them.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

Why would you use factory specs when you have an aftermarket exhaust and flame arresstors ?
                  I wasn't saying I would, I was asking if it was safe to do this? Suspecting not, but unsure how it should be jetted given the aftermarket equipment.

Find the sorce of the gas fumes and fix it.
                  Not sure I know where to start here, but since its running like crap and seems to be too rich, is it possible these conditions are related? Like leeking needles?

Rebuild your carbs and try again. If the carbs need rebuilding, then maybe it will run right when you rebuild them.
                  Planning to, waiting for kits, praying is is the answer....

Thanks, this board is the best!:emoticont

Comment

When gasoline fumes are present in a hull. the motor will run extremly rich and it will run doggety and it will foul sparkplugs. Maybe you do not have a carb problem at all.

A cracked gas tank flange at the filler tube is very common on those models.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM

Comment

Well, you called it Bill! The "idling through a no wake zone" I mentioned above as what I thought contributed to my problems did happen to be immediately after filling up on gas so it all makes sense. Just checked, and the filler neck is cracked. From searches here, hopefully it will be covered under warranty.

Bill, I can't personally thank you enough for your knowledge and willingness to share it. How can you ever be repaid for the time you donate to this board?!?!
                      :emoticont :emoticonc :emoticont

From the bottom of my heart... THANKS!!!!

Comment

I could use a paid vacation in Hawaii.............
                        Bill O'Neal <br>
                        WCM

Comment

OMG I'm on a flight ahead of you man...
                          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                          X