01 XLT 1200 speed issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 01 XLT 1200 speed issues

Sgear i agree with you one hundred percent about filing claim with "bbb".The point you brought up about could the d-plate cause that problem,a jip joint like that place you took it to could do anything to cause your engine problems.I guess they saw stupid written on your face when you walked in.Little did they know their screw up is going to cost them hopefully big time.And i am not calling you stupid in no way shape or form,its just unfair how some shops try to rip people off.Like i said before burn them hard if the owner does not want to help you.
    2003 XLT1200 RIVA STAGE 2

WAVEATER POWERVALVE STUFF
    COMMERCIAL TINY TACH

Comment

OK, now that I've lost all trust for service mechanics of any type, its time to start learning to do things on my own. Can someone compile a tool list of everything I need to acquire to prepare to do an engine swap. SBT's inventory says they won't have a 1200pv until august 8th so i have some prep time. Also, does anyone think i should try a couple of other mods before complete engine replacement?

Comment

When and if you buy a service manual it will tell you what special tools are needed to do certain work.I have a manual at the house i will look at when i get home from work and let you know tomorrow.

COMMERCIAL TINY TACH

Comment

sorry my mind jumps around alot, is it possible that I could just get my ski back, put the heads back on, and run it like it was before I took it in for a while? even if it just go's 45 mph, its better then no ski at all, and I can do the engine swap over the winter? Any thoughts on this route? is it even possible once R &D has ripped the top off to check it out ? Also, the law says they have a right to charge a Reasonable diagnostic fee, any suggestions on how much this should be and how much is too much? I am going to get the ski saturday and will post pic's then.

Comment

Gear you could probably do that but you have a nice ski and i'd hate to see you mess it up worst then it already is.Just like you mentioned earlier fourty-five mph is better then zero mph.The part about the diagnostic fee i would give him maybe hundred to hundred fifty dollars and that is it.Pulling the head does not take that long.

COMMERCIAL TINY TACH

Comment

Update, I'll put some pics on tommorow, but I just got my ski back from the dealership. I had a good talk with the owner and he helped me smooth things out. He didn't charge me for any diagnostics, but gave my ride back to me in pieces. He claims it was the powervalve in the second cylinder that has been sticking and messed the engine up. They said there was something like a clip that holds it in place that broke or fell out causing the damage. Sounds kinda like it makes sense to me. He also is going to order the engine for me and try and get me a discount on it and said he'd help if I needed it. Said he'd charge me 240 to install it, but i kind of want to do it myself. He needs me to take the old engine out and bring it in though before he orders the new one, is this common practice? He already has the exhaust out of it, and the top half of the engine out. It sucks but is a pretty cool sight to see the guts of my ski.

Comment

If you have the tools, time, and space, save yourself the $240.00 and get an SBT motor and do it yourself. Otherwise compare the price of his motor with SBT and, check where he is getting it from. $240.00 is not bad for a motor install. Thats only about 2.5hrs labor.
                Check if SBT's no-fault warranty is covered under someone else installing the motor. (Don't see why it wouldn't be) You can always get the motor from SBT, send your core back, and give it all to that shop to install. That way you know its a complete quality rebuild and not some half-a$$ job. Mark the motor in a way you can check if it actually is the motor you gave them. I hate to be that paranoid, but I have heard many horror stories about two-bit shops from professional mechanics.
                If you do it yourself, factor in price for a manual (Must have anyway), and any tools you will have to purchase. Although I consider manuals and tools investments and not expenses. I just wish my wife could see it that way:D

Just a couple of (IMHO) suggestions

Comment

Finally got the pics up. I haven't really started digging into the box of parts yet. They say a clip broke on the center cyliner, doesn't really explain why the third one has low compression and the small chip on the piston though? Any ideas?
                  Attached Files

Comment

That's a real nice lean siezure across the board.
                    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

? lean seizure? Can you explain a little further? no one has mentioned anything about a seizure yet. The ski was running up to 50 mph max when this tear down was done. Does that mean it is definitly not worth it to repair and to get on tearing this out so I can get a SBT engine ASAP?

Comment

See all those marks on the pistons? That's damage from the piston contacting the cylinders - seizures. You'll need to call in for engine availability - there is a wait list this time of year 877 330 0231

You at the VERY least need a complete top-end job, which on that motor is just about the price of our complete engines.

Comment

I keep putting it off ordering an engine b/c they are now back ordered till the middle of september. No reason to install engine this year, break it in, then winterize, plus shortens the warranty life. So I'm going to wait until the spring to buy the engine. Currently it is tore down so just the bottom half of the engine shown in pics is still in the ski. Will it hurt to leave it like this for the winter then tear it all out and send in in the spring? What else will I have to do to prepare the ski for the winter since the engine is already shot? I assume drain the gas? Will Probably be storing outside under a cover. So it will get freezing here for a few months.

Comment

Back in business but all is not so well! This ski is a problem child. Just got the new engine from SBT installed. Following the break in instructions too a TEE. Am almost completely through the first 10 gallons, and still can't get it over 40 mph, I had a certified yamaha dealer do the engine install in for me so i wouldn't screw it up. Where do i start checking? will the speed pick up after i burn out all the 50-1 fuel and change the plugs? where should i start checking first? The fuel filter looks full of water, could that be the problem?

Comment

What other repairs were done other than replacing the engine?

Comment

The only other repairs were prior to the engine replacement and that was replacing the cat con with a d/plate and sensor. Nothing else was done. Not sure what caused the lean seizure on the previous engine, the mechanics said its failure was due to a powervalve clip dropping the valve into the cylinder. See the pics earlier in the thread to see the damage to the previous motor.

Comment

Working...
                                X