01 XLT 1200 speed issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 01 XLT 1200 speed issues

I can say with almost 100% certainty that a power valve was not your problem. Lean means lack of fuel or too much air. I highly suggest you do not run it further, and immediately rebuild all of your carbs. Your new engine is at risk if you run it further, and you need to correct the root cause of the lean running condition. It's probably in the carbs, but go through your whole fuel system too - the lines, on/off switch, tank connections, etc. We have the carb kits for $50/ea. here: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=35

You will need to remove the exhaust to do the job, and you'll need these gaskets for that: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=51-4

Unfortunately I'd say your tech gave you incorrect advice, and you'll need to spend some more money to correct the problems now.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Wow, that's about the worst news I could have heard at this point. How long will it probably take to rebuild the carbs are reassemble everything? I'm not the handiest guy in the world but have no more money to pay mechanices, this thing is a money PIT. Is there any way to better diagnose the problem without ripping stuff apart again? They tore the hole engine down last time to come to that conclusion.

This ski's for sale, anyone with a strong heart and a fat wallet, make me an offer! I'll try this last repair, if it no goes i think i'm getting out of the sport for good!

Also, I bought the premium engine package through the dealer, i don't think he used all new gaskets, because he made me buy one exhaust gasket on the side. Also, no dvd or calender or break-in oil. Does this stuff ship to dealers when they buy the package for you?

Comment

Yes that all comes withthe Premium Package. Please call in and we can lookup your account, and see what exactly was ordered. 877 330 0231

Carb rebuilding is not hard, but it will take you a few hours your first time on that ski. We have tech articles and videos showing you everything you need to do, give those a shot if you want to see what's needed to do.

Comment

Alright, i ordered all the gaskets and rebuild kits, should be here Friday. I will take a stab at it myself, if it doesn't work then what direction will we take?

Also, I just called your sales department at that number, they said the gaskets all shipped with the new engine to the dealer. They made me buy an extra exhaust gasket, the one right before the manifold gasket in the system for 50 bucks, and put it in myself. She said it was a premium package so i have the two year warranty that does transfer to me right? Not the dealer? I'm sure they didn't do anything with the break-in oil either. That place just keeps getting worse, but i had no where else to turn to in this area! Probably have my calender up on their effing wall!

Repeat!, all Hoosiers, Stay away from R and D motorsports in Columbia city, not good mechanics for watercraft at all!

Comment

I really can't comment on the dealer, but I'm sorry you are having trouble with them. Yes the warranty goes to you, nothing to do with the installer. I would suggest finding a better shop if you can't get results out of this repair.

Comment

Thanks for your help, hopefully i can get the carbs rebuilt ok and the thing reassembled on my own, Let you know after this weekend.

Any concern with the fuel filter being full to the brim with water? The service manual says if there's anything in it, replace it, couldn't find a similar one at any auto parts store, where do i buy one of those?

Comment

Sorry, I missed the part about it being full of water.

First, do not use an automotive filter, they are not the same type. Get a new filter from the dealer.

Second, you need to completely drain your fuel system and put in water remover. If you see that much in the filter, you have a significant amount in the tank. They should have cought that during installation unless it occuread after the fact.

Any water that makes it's way to your carbs will damage your engine.

Comment

sorry to keep bugging you, what's the best way to drain the gas tank? I'll check compression tonight to see how much damage has been done so far trying to break the engine in.

Comment

Without pulling the engine, the easiest way is a suction pump - try a marine supply store.

Comment

Got the carbs off, can't get the regulator chambers open though b/c the screws are in too tight and the heads are stripping out, i'm taking them to work tommorow to try and get a screw extractor to get them apart,

However, while uninstalling, i'm noticing that the gasket kit i was told to buy for the exhaust removal and install will really only require me to replace one gasket. also, there seems to be missing gaskets from the carb rebuild kits, for this engine, the carbs are all 3 connected with a big bar-like washer, the egg shaped gasket says it is not reusable, and the gasket to reconnect all three carbs to the block is not included either, where can i get these?? or can i re-use the old ones even though the service manual says not to??

Comment

Carb base gaskets are #1 never included in rebuild kits - you need an intake kit or the individual gaskets. #2, no gaskets are reuseable.

Carb screws require impact drivers or a screwdriver and hammer, or you will strip them out. We have guides and videos showing you what to do.

Comment

i'm working on the carbs right now, during dissassembly on carb #2 i found the plastic little circles (inlet outlet check valves maybe? ) were completely blown out on and the plastic in the carb. Could this have been my problem? Also, the high / low screws are not to the specs you have on the web. They were

# 3 Low 1 1/4 out, High 3/4 out
                          #2 Low 2 out , High 1 1/4 out
                          #1 Low 1 out, High 1 1/4 out

Should i rebuild it to these specs, or to the specs you list on the web?

Comment

Those are the fuel pump check valves, and yes they will lean out the carbs and destroy the engine. If the ski has all stock equipment such as the airbox, yes put them to stock.

Comment

OK, now we're in business. I have rebuilt and reinstalled all carbs. Put in a new fuel filter, drained the fuel tank, put in iso-heet to remove water, put in new gas, and dropped her in the water. It was hard as hell to get it running at first, kept dieing from bogging down for the first 20 min or so, the idle is too low too, but i think i can adjust that. It will stay running if you barely pull the throttle, but when you give it some gas, it bogs down and dies. After riding for a while, i can get the engine to kick in to high gear, and as long as i keep it up there it will ride like it should, got it up to mid 50's without going WOT on a choppy lake. MUCH better then it has ever run. Still dies a lot though when you slow down. Any ideas or adjustments i can make without tearing anything apart again. Could it be the iso heat in the gas just making it run shitty until it cleans itself out? I only put about 10 gallons of gas in too.

Comment

Turn the idle to 3000 out of the water. Yes it may take some time for the bad fuel to go through.

Comment

Working...
                                X