01 XLT 1200 speed issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 XLT 1200 speed issues

I recently bought a 2001 XLT 1200. Thing ran great for the first 20 min, up in the high 50's, low 60's on a choppy lake. Then the exhaust sensor went off. Took it into get serviced at R and D motorsports in columbia city, Indiana. They said a D-plate should fix it and a new sensor. I said OK, 423 dollars and two weeks later, i dropped it back in the lake. Started up fine, but top speed is in the mid 40's with the exception of spurts of speeds up above 50 every now and then. Everything else seems to be running fine, just it has little to no low end thrust, and spurting top end speed but still pretty slow. I took it back to R and D, they say, OH, it must have a bad impellar. We'll replace it for 390 More bucks!
    Anyone think they are ripping me off, and know of anything else it could be. I think they screwed up my machine and are taking me for a ride.

Please help, Its my first ski and i've had it running good for only 20 min since i bought it 2 months ago.

Re: 01 XLT 1200 speed issues

They put the d-plate and sensor in your pipe meanwhile taking your cat-con out wonder if the cat-con was in pieces, if so the pieces are probably in your waterbox.It does not make sense why your speeds are still down so they want to sell you an impeller.That helps out for speed but mostly for cavitation and better hookup.This is just a thought,check your rideplate and pumpshoe.I have the same ski and i put the riva stage two package on my boat and have not experienced the problems you are having.How many hours do you have on your ski?
    2003 XLT1200 RIVA STAGE 2

WAVEATER POWERVALVE STUFF
    COMMERCIAL TINY TACH

Comment

The ski has 89 hours on it. They are supposedly water testing it today because i told them no on the impellar, and too look elsewhere for the problem before throwing parts at it, expensive parts as well. What'd that stage two total package cost?

Comment

OK, R and D has now water tested it, and they are taking it in to the shop. They say it is the compression in the engine making it perform poorly. The compression in the cylinders was 125-115-100. They say the 3rd cylinder needs a rebuild probably and that will solve my problems, does this make sense? What does an avg rebuild cost? I know they are going to try and rip me off again but no one else has time to look at it this season.

Comment

Riva racing products sells the kit two ways,one with the cdi and one w/out.The kit with the cdi ran me right at $2200.00 and the kit w/out the cdi costs $1700.00.Thats good they did a compression test on it and found number three cylinder fried.I have never had a rebuild done so i have no clue what it costs.Good luck with those guys at that shop,and keep us informed.

COMMERCIAL TINY TACH

Comment

Gear i wish you were close to va beach virginia i would love to help you

COMMERCIAL TINY TACH

Comment

You need to find out what caused the #2 and #3 cylinders to lose compression or after the rebuild you be right here again. Powervalves, carbs, air leak - lean condition, etc..... 89 hrs, to me is too low for a "death due to natural causes"
              After finding out the costs, compare it with a motor from SBT. Get a shop manual and consider installing it yourself. Even if you have no experience, IMHO if you can read and follow instructions you can do it. (I know time is a major factor also) There are many people on this forum and at SBT who will help out tremendously. :emoticont

Please post what they want for a rebuild.

Comment

Wow, i will definitly have to use all of your help at SBT to get through this one, just really stinks sometimes, I'm 23, rented a lake front house, got a loan, bought a jet ski, and its a junker......... my lesson learned is to buy NEW from now on, i'm through with used stuff,

Anyways, I will update as soon as they give me the quote so you guys can give me advice on what to do, they are taking the top off right now to find out what its going to need.

I am interested in yanking it apart myself, just don't have a garage to do it in.

Comment

How do i tell which SBC engine is the one i need, might be cheaper and easier to just go this route??

Comment

1200pv
                    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

R & D Motorsports in Columbia City, Indiana just gave me a quoted price of $2,300 plus dollars to do the top end! That doesn't sound right to me?! My question is the compression was 125-125-125 on June 15th with 88.5 hours on the motor. Then the cat screwed up, took it to R & D. Get it back, run it up to 89.2 hours. Now the entire motor is Trashed!? What happened!?

Here's the breakdown:

Somehow I think SBT can beat this price?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by sgearhart; 07-20-2005, 01:12 PM. Reason: added quote

Comment

crap, that didn't post in the excel format i meant for, let me know if you want me to email anyone the breakdown so its more readable.

Comment

Humm!? - $2300.00 for just a top end compared to $1800.00 for a complete SBT premium rebuild.

I would suggest finding someplace to do the work yourself, pull and dissasemble the motor and post picts here. The experts on this forum will help you diagnose the "REAL" problem. Like I said before you need to find exactly what happened before anything and fix the root cause then the motor.

I, among others here, feel for you and have been where you are. Don't give up. It is NOT hopeless. In the end you will have more knowledge of your ski then you could have asked for and a great running ski.

Comment

Gear that place you took it to is a rip off.Just like you stated in your earlier post you mentioned that your compression was ok then you take it to jip joint now its "messed up".As someone said a little while ago post pictures,plenty of people here that would love to help you.

COMMERCIAL TINY TACH

Comment

Well I have to figure out how to get it out of there with my parts all boxed up, .....kinda sad, without paying them too much for effing diagnosing the "problem". Then I'll post all the pics i can. I've noticed they have a couple other complaints with the BBB and I will be filing one as well after i speak with the owner, I'll see if i can get a small claims suit or something out of this, Does anyone agree or know if its possible that when installing a D-plate and sensor, a dealership could mess up an engine setting to cause this to blow up my motor like this? I need to figure this out to have any sort of case. Then I'll start looking into replacing the engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X