Removing choke for primer install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing choke for primer install

I am removing the choke system from my '97 1100 STX. I removed the butterflys. I removed the cable from the bow end of the choke shaft. I removed the screw from the stern end of the choke shaft. What else is preventing me from removing the choke shaft from the carbs?

It better start right up after I'm done with this install.

Re: Removing choke for primer install

You have to tap it out.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Like with a drift?

Comment

You didn't mention the C or E clips that need removed from the shaft. They are located between each carb, two per carb if I remember correctly. Also, the plastic shaft bushings, 2 per carb, will need to be removed. The shaft will slide right out after getting the clips out.

To press the primer fittings in, I put them in the freezer and did them one at a time. I used a 1/4" drive socket that fit over fitting and a pair of channel lock pliers to run the primer fittings in. They can be a little tight, which you want. Protect the carb throat from the pliers with a piece of cardboard or something. The leverage of the pliers will let the fittings slide in fairly easily.

Comment

I never would've seen those clips on the choke shaft if I hadn't been told.

Moving right along...

It said to install a "T" in the RESERVE fuel line. That's what it says on the instructions that came with the kit and another set on instructions that I found on the net somewhere. I can find two fuel lines. The main one and the return line. How can I find the reserve line, or is this a misprint?

Comment

I installed mine in the main line. works fine.

Comment

Ended up installing the "T" in the main fuel line. Works great. They didn't include nearly enough fuel line in the kit though. Would not recommend trying to install the kit with the carbs still on the ski.

Comment

Are these CV carbs?

If so I would leave the chokes in them or you will have running problems.

You can drill and insert primer fittings into the airbox.
                Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

No, they didn't start using the CV carbs until '98. Regardless, it seems like everybody swears by the primer kit. It was really miserable to get my ski started cold before I installed the kit.

Comment

I have a 99 1100 stx with the choke completley removed with no problems yet???

Comment

Your lucky, and I would not raise the compression of the motor. Nor do anything else to it. Most CVs don't like having the chokes removed.
                      Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
                      2002-1100STX DI
                      2004-15F
                      2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Yea I love this site. Without it I wuda trashed my ski. After Spending $900 at a shop on my ski that didnt' run for TWO years cause they were to busy to take it back in and fix thier scew ups. SO~ I bought a metric set! TADAAA I really know some **** about Kawa skis now. Mostly from reading up at this foum and the SBT videos are great. Now, I just did this primer mod and I do have some suggestions. Post'm and if I can help I will say so. But, to all doing watever, listen up~ don't use the friging plastic tees!! NO sir!! Whats worst than a brake down, is a bad fix.

Originally posted by ss454trk
                        I installed mine in the main line. works fine.

Comment

But what did you use instead?

Comment

The reason that you should not use the main fuel line to supply the primer is simple, if for some reason there is a leak or a failure to properly seal at the hose to fitting joints there is a good possibility that the joint will allow air to enter the fuel system, thus causing a lean condition. Since the main is the used for 85-90% of operation you would want to minimize the possibilities of causing a failure due to air in the fuel, and by using the reserve you are doing exactly this.

Almost all Constant Velocity (CV) carburetors DO NOT use chokes, instead they use a "fuel enrichener" that allows extra fuel and air to bypass the throttle slider to allow easier starting. The exception seems to be the late 70's to early 80's Honda motorcycles, that all had cold starting problems, and the Kawasaki CV equipped Jet-Ski's that are also very hard to start.

The very nature of the CV carburetor design can and will compensate for changes in air flow (or velocity) including the removal of the choke plates and shafts from the carb bodies.

I have modified well over 140 plus Kawasaki CV carb equipped skis with primer kits and have never encountered a running problem from removing the choke plates and shafts from the carbs

You can find brass t-fittings at most local hardware stores <NOTE: I did not say Lowes or Home Depot>
                            Last edited by John Kubiak; 08-01-2005, 10:11 AM.
                            John Kubiak
                            Powersports Technical Training Professional
                            Las Vegas, Nevada
                            Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                            PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                            PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                            NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                            Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

What would you recommend for clamping the lines onto the "T"s?

Comment

Working...
                              X