95 XP Looses Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 XP Looses Power

Hey first post, seems like a great board want to say hello!

I just purchased a 95 XP that had only 1 issue, when the previous owner would take it out, and ride is for about 30minutes she said that it would begin to slow/bog down, and then finally stall. After waiting a few it would fire back up, and seem to be fine....I have yet to take it out and experience it for myself, but I wanted to get ideas before doing so. I noticed that the stock airbox has been removed, and replaced with aftermarket air cleaners, and the engine appears to be somewhat new.

The oil injection is still intact, and I am thinking about removing it and going premix.

Like I said I have yet to experience the issue, I just wanted to get a few ideas before taking her out.

Thanks,

Rob

Re: 95 XP Looses Power

Do a compression test. You may have bought a motor with siezed pistons due to dirty or mal adjusted carbs. Compression should be near or above 150 psi in each clyinder.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I had a chance to take a look at the 95 last night and I found that the large 4"-5" rubber "Flex joint" that connects the exhaust together was completely burned through on one side.

I've been reading on PWCtoday, and Sea-doo.net that a "leak" in the exhaust on these things can have power robbing effects on these machines. Is that true? Could this me part of the issue?

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

More like a HUGE effect on the motor ! Motors do not run on carbon monoxide fumes.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

I have the part on order...hopefully it will get here soon

Rob

Comment

You need to figure out why the water is not getting injected into the exhaust stream at the headpipe or stinger, depending upon which pipe you have.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
              You need to figure out why the water is not getting injected into the exhaust stream at the headpipe.
              I have yet to get it in the water....I noticed that it was smoking from inside the hull...Once the part gets here I'll get in the water for testing...:emoticont

Comment

You may burn up another coupler if you don't check out the water fittings on the pipe to see if one is clogged up.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

AHHHHH:emoticont I understand now....I plan on going through these with a fine toothed comb.....having 2 little ones makes getting away difficult!

Comment

Bill, I remember something about the cooling circuit being rerouted so that it could be verified during operation.
                    Attached Files

Comment

What does that mean?
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
                        You need to figure out why the water is not getting injected into the exhaust stream at the headpipe or stinger, depending upon which pipe you have.
                        It was in reference to this....

Comment

Ok, I finally took my 95 XP out this past weekend, and here is the result. It sputtered along through the no wake zone, as soon as I cleared the NWZ I slowly "rolled" into the throttle, and it took off as advertised, I held it
                          wide open (20/30 sec) until it topped out...everything felt right, power response..etc!

I turned toward the NWZ and jabbed the throttle again, it took off and topped out without issue, then it dropped right off, and there was no response from the throttle, wide, partial....nothing. I let it slow, and die out. It fired right up and idled fine, I started to walk into the throttle and it died again..I had to continuously start,and stall it to get back to the NWZ...I was being attacked my a GIANT swan..yes a swan... so I was unable to wait and see if sitting time would possibly correct it, or give me more run time to get back to the launch! Once back in the launch it started, and idled fine.

I had purchased this ski knowing there was an issue, no problem I'm pretty good with wrenches. The first thing I had repaired was the exhaust coupler, I figured the ski could be choking on it's own exhaust..nope, One thing I noticed is that in the short time I was out the ski had taken on what I thought was a large amount of water..It was enough that it covered about 2-3" of the PTO coupler.

Each carb has a single air cleaner that don't really offer much protection against sucking water...while the motor was idling, and full of water the PTO coupler was slinging it around inside the hull like a popped fire hydrant...

I'm wondering if the carbs are sucking just enough water to bog it down, but not enough to hydrolock it..

I've installed a bilge pump right behind the PTO coupler to get the water away from it, and out of the hull.

Thoughts?

95XP.
                          Last edited by Archangel6; 08-02-2005, 11:31 AM.

Comment

sounds like one of your cooling lines are off, leave it on your trailer and back it in the water,start it up and watch for water leaks!
                            region #6 2005 top fuel amatuer runabout 800 limited
                            2nd place overall champ!
                            exceljetsport.com

Comment

Either an exhaust coupler or waterline is off or the driveshaft seal is leaking. Whatever it is, a bilge pump is not the answer. Fix the water leak. Then, buy a driveshaft cover and install it so if it leaks water again, the pto will not sling it up in the air where it gets sucked into the engine.

The motor may be dying because of an exhaust leak, which explains the water in the hull. Check all exhaust hoses and under the muffler for a leak.

Whatever you do, quit nailing it to full throttle until you resolve the issues with it stalling, because if it is a carb problem and running too lean, you can sieze the pistons in a heartbeat, if you have not allready done so.
                              Bill O'Neal <br>
                              WCM

Comment

Working...
                              X