This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WaveRaider 1100 Sunk

I'm a newbe looking for some engine help. My knowledge of Yamaha engines is very limited so any help in the right direction is appreciated. All the dealers in my area say its $1500 - $2000 and 5 weeks wait to fix the Waveraider yet none of the dealers have actually looked at it.

I loaned my Waveraider to family for the day and all I can confirm is they sunk it up to the handle bars. I'm also willing to bet they tried to start it while it was sunk.

I retrieved the Waverader within an hour of it sinking and got it up on the dock. I removed the spark plugs and cranked the engine to clear the water. (The cylinders were filled.) I fogged the engine with engine store and used starter fluid to get it running. There was NO water in the Oil or Gas Tanks. I ran it for several minutes and it ran normaly.

However as soon as I hooked the fresh water clean out up, the engine ran rough. After a minute or two, small drops/mist came out the air intake of 2 carbs. I checked the plugs and found the forward 2 spark plugs were wet. The rear plug was dry and so was that carb.

I cleaned everything up and repeated the experiment with same result. The engine ran fine until I hooked up the water and then the forward 2 plugs got wet and tiny drops of water spit from the same 2 carbs.

I removed the head and the head gasket looks fine. If I move the pistons with my fist the front 2 pistons act the same on the down stroke but the rear (working) piston has a small amount of back pressure with a small burp of air on the down stroke. The 2 cylinders with wet plugs do not exhibit this same burp.

I'm not familure enough with the engine workings to guess at what it might be. Some friends say the engine has spring valves and some say no it doesn't With the water coming back out the carb and with the plugs getting wet its obvious water is getting into 2 cylinders but Im not sure how/where.

So far I've only removed the exhaust system and the head so I'm guessing the next step would be either the exhaust manafold or the carbs + intake manafold. but Im not sure. Any Ideas what to look at next?

Also its been about a week since it sunk. I ran the engine with no water for 3 minutes with all 3 cylinders firing. I figured this would let oil get where it was needed and help evaporate any residual water. Then I removed the head and sprayed engine store down the cylinders but no where else. Im not sure if I could have water in other parts of the engine that might cause me problems later Should I be checking/doing anything else to protect the engine while Im working on it?

Whoops I should mention its an Original 1995 WaveRaider 1100.

Thanks
    Jim

Re: WaveRaider 1100 Sunk

That sucks bad jim,you did spray wd-40 in the engine hopefully.If not that crank will rust up on you then looking at rebuild.At least you got it fired up and running let it run for a good amount of time to get most of the water out.
    2003 XLT1200 RIVA STAGE 2

WAVEATER POWERVALVE STUFF
    COMMERCIAL TINY TACH

Comment

I can't run it cuz if I hook up the clean out hose I'll foul the 2 bad cylinders with water. So the best I could do was run it for a few minutes so it didn't overheat. Then I pulled the head and shot engine store down the cylinders but I'm concerned that I may have water in other parts of the engine????? I'm not sure.

So the real questions are, what should I do to prevent further damage in its current state. (The head and exhaust pipe are off) And where should I look for the water entering the cylinders? It doesn't look like it was the Head gasket.

Since water is comming out the carbs and I get no burp from the 2 bad cylinders should I look at the Exhaust or Intake side of the engine?

Does anyone know if this engine has spring valves and if it does could they be the problem?

Could the rings be damaged?

I'm just at a loss as to where to look next without taking the whole engine apart un-nessasarly.

Thanks
      Jim

Comment

I see what you are saying about causing more problems then what you have right now.I'll check to see if yours has valve springs or not.I'm not that good about tearing down engines and checking what the problem is.

COMMERCIAL TINY TACH

Comment

I looked at the original parts finder and i did not see valve springs anywhere on the cylinder head.

COMMERCIAL TINY TACH

Comment

Thanks for your help!!

I'm still guessing myself cuz, although I assume a damaged spring valve could cause loss of compression Im not sure if it could also be the source point of the water. If the engine does have spring valves and they are damaged could water be sucked into the engine through them? Is there a path for water back through a spring valve, is that path only possible from one side (intake/exhaust) or both? I'm hoping to narrow down what to remove next.

Also is it possible that I still have water in the lower part of the motor? If it is possible, what should I do now? I cant stat it with the head off so can I drain it or spray WD40 into that half somehow? All I've done so far is shoot engine store down the cylinder walls.

Thanks
            Jim

Comment

Ok no spring valves. Thanks!! Sorry my last post is out of order. I didn't expect a reply so fast. Thanks Again!!!

Does the missing burp on the down stroke of the the bad cylinders lead to any source of the water? The engine still appears to crank just fine. All pistons appear to move properly with no strange noises.

Thanks
              Jim

Comment

Sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.From what you are talking about,it sounds like you injested water on the intake side.Wish i could help you out alot more then i can.You are headed in the right direction though.Could you possibly take some pictures and post them so we can look at what you have going on.Wonder what the piston wash looks like?

COMMERCIAL TINY TACH

Comment

I took some quick snapshots. While taking the pictures I noticed the intake manfold is lower then the exhaust manafold but I'm not sure what that means to me other then I could have water laying in the intake???

Its the left and middle cylinders that get water in them. The cylinder on the right seemd to be working fine.

Comment

Im concerned I might have water in the crank area. Would anyone know what I need to remove to get to the crank enough to hit it with engine store?

Thanks
                    Jim

Comment

The cylinder

Comment

Crank it while shooting the fogging oil down the carbs. Make sure you keep the throttle wide open. You should start to see the fogger coming out of the ports in the cylinders.

Comment

Would there be any bennefit to shooting engine store in the Intake ports?

Thanks
                          Jim

Comment

Not really. Fuel and oil, during normal operation go through the intake manifold and reeds into the case. They are then forced out of the ports. Reversing this process would probably force the water into the bottom end of the engine. I've never had mine apart, but i would say that if the cylinders are seperate from the block, wich they probably are, you could pull them off and have easy access to the bottom end.

Where in jersey are you?

Comment

Brick, NJ.

I've pulled the cylinders but it was too dark to see anything. when I get home I'll check for damage and take a few more pictures. Any thoughts where to look for water going into the cylinders?

Thanks
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X