97 gtx rebuilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 gtx rebuilt

Just rebuilt a blown up 97 gtx. First 13 hours runs great. It was bored out .020 all new gaskets rebuilt carbs. Ran the first 5 gal 50:1 premix. No wide open. After 2 or 3 hours gave a couple of WFO and got to 54 mph. after 13 hours greased the pto put in new plugs. Next day it would not run over 35. I thought the kids ran over a bread bag or something. Checked the impeller, all clear. Checked the fuel filter dirty. Put in a new one. Got back up to 51 not bad figured the plugs fouled from the wide open with son and full oil. Next day down to 35 ran for a while plugs seamed clean out and got to 45 mph. I noticed the exaust at start up was smoking more. I was going to check the oil injector and then rebuild the carbs again. Rave valves are set at 4 click in past flush. Exaust valve was never touched? should I look at it also?

Re: 97 gtx rebuilt

I would be looking at everything. Compression, Fuel filters, plug wires, selector valve, water regulator, remove the rave valves and clean them....... Do it all.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Tell me about the selector valve and water regulator? Were is the selector valve? The water regulator is that the rave valve on the exaust. I have a repair manual too also help. I had originaly put in a new rave valve on the engine. One had let go and split the piston. Crank apeared to be fine and like I said ran well for 2 weeks or so....I just went out and looked at it some more and closer. New plugs are not fouled out yet. The rear cylinder rave valve is leaking some burned oil. Blown out. The valve seams ok (took off black cap and spring moves freely). I am wondering if the o-ring is blown or pinched. Would this cause my problem?
      Last edited by toolmaker; 07-27-2005, 09:29 PM. Reason: more infomation

Comment

When a rave valve leaks liquid from it, it usually means the carbureator on that clyinder is leaking too much fuel into that half of the motor. Recheck the carb with a PO tester to see if the needle valve is leaking.

There is no rave valve on a muffler. It is a water regulator and has nothing to do with an exhaust valve that alters the port timing on a clyinder. The water regulator controls the amount of water being injected into the exhaust pipe.

The fuel selector valve is a knob on the ski and you turn it to the off, on or reserve position. They get clogged up sometimes, not allowing fuel to pass on into the carbureators.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
        X