Oil warning light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil warning light

Hope someone can answer this for me.. I have a 2000 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner. At the lake today the oil warning light came on twice while doing some fairly aggressive tight turning. I idled it back to shore and after restarting it everything seemed fine, the engine is getting oil. I went back out and the warning light came on again after the same manuevers. The oil tank is around half full. Is it possible that the oil is shifting during the turning causing a false reading from the sensor?
    Also, I would like to know if it is necessary to change the oil in the tank if it has been in there a couple of years? I dont know if oil degrades in any way or not.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Oil warning light

Thats what it sounds like to me when you do the tight cornering the oil is being shifted from one side to the other very quickly and the sensor's not picking it up
    2003 XLT1200 RIVA STAGE 2

WAVEATER POWERVALVE STUFF
    COMMERCIAL TINY TACH

Comment

I had the same "problem" when my tank was about half full. Since then I keep it no less that 3/4 filled and it hasn't been an issue.

Has the ski been sitting idle for a couple years with the same oil in it? If you've been riding it and adding oil, then you have been cycling through and shouldn't have to replace.

moped
      www.powervalvefix.com

Comment

The ski doesnt get used more than maybe 10-15 hours a season. Since the riding season up here in Montana is fairly short. It has had the same oil in the tank for at least a couple of years. It has about 60 hours on it right now.

Comment

My 02 gp1200r does the exact thing, since this was the first weekend i had ridden it, i thought i was REAL low on oil, but was only able to get about a 1/2 gal in it. Reading through it holds about a gallon. Seems silly that it goes off so earily, but I am like the other guy, i keep a gallon on the ski now and when it goes off i put it in there. kind of a half assed fix. Shame they didnt put some baffles in the oil tank to prevent this.

B

Comment

Working...
          X