SBT Jetski Engines, Parts & Accessories

From
    Melbourne, Australia

Default Oil pump rebuilding-source found for gasket kit

Hi all,

Regarding the oil pump discussions that have been occurring. I want to keep oil injection because it is convenient-Premix is not a way i want to go. I found a source that stock the gasket kits so that you can rebuild your oil injection pump. I took mine apart this arvo and it is not too tricky. To rebuild it i am going to thoroughly clean it, replace all gaskets and seals and you should also check for worn parts inside-not to dissimilar to rebuilding a carb. Generally, i have been told that these pumps are very reliable! It's apparently broken oil lines, worn check valves that cause the problems.

Anyways, log onto www.ronnies.com and go to the OEM parts section. There you can look up your ski (it has diagrams of every part) and that's where you can order a gasket kit to rebuild your oil pump. It sure beats paying a small fortune to buy a completely new pump and also gets you out of the annoying situation of premixing (annoying for a recreational rider).

Please note that i am not endorsing this site-SBT are WAY CHEAPER than these guys! This just seems to be a good place to get those hard to get parts (ie: I've been looking for an oil gasket kit for months and people have just been telling me to but a completely new pump).

Hope this helps.

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Re: Oil pump rebuilding-source found for gasket kit

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Seadoo
    To rebuild it i am going to thoroughly clean it, replace all gaskets and seals and you should also check for worn parts inside-not to dissimilar to rebuilding a carb. Generally, i have been told that these pumps are very reliable! It's apparently broken oil lines, worn check valves that cause the problems.

you should also check for worn parts inside

Only problem with the seal kit is that it is just that.....The actual wear parts, the ones that fail, are not available! IF you use the kit that you mentioned, you will have all new gaskets and seals, about an hour to two hours of wasted time, a lot of frustration, and as a bonus, a freshly re-sealed oil injection pump that is STILL NOT WORKING PROPERLY!

Sorry to burst your bubble of hope, but don't waste your money or your time on the kit
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

From
    Melbourne, Australia

ahhhhh right,

Thanks for the info. Looking at the inside, it looks to be in very good condition. Not one of the metal parts inside looks worn in mine (was just mentioning it for the post). Do you think i can use my parts if they are still in good condition. Thanks for the info.:emoticont

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada

Looking at the inside, it looks to be in very good condition. Not one of the metal parts inside looks worn in mine

What are the specs for those parts, are there any wear limits? How do you measure them? What exactly does "looks good" or "looks worn" mean?

Do you think i can use my parts if they are still in good condition
    Replace the pump...much cheaper in the long run...
    John Kubiak
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736

I'm approaching 300 hours on my pump. Working fine but should I be
    concerned?

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada

Since SBT does not carry new Oil Injection Pumps, here is a link to one I have for sale if you are interested http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21753
    John Kubiak
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736

From
    Melbourne, Australia

To 99GP1200,

Regarding that question you had about your oil pump....I have been told that an oil pump should be checked reguraly and replaced every 6 years. A lot of ppl say replace because the pumps wear out. Mine is ok (the moving parts) inside, so i am going to rebuild it using a gasket kit. If you don't know how these work then get your service centre to check it out for you. All i know is that oil pumps are a gamble when they get old.

From
    Boca Raton Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kubiak
    What are the specs for those parts, are there any wear limits? How do you measure them? What exactly does "looks good" or "looks worn" mean?

Replace the pump...much cheaper in the long run...
    Ozzie,
    When you are finished replacing the gaskets in the pump. Get a service manual, and run the oil pump test. It should be turned at a specific RPM, for a specific time period, and you measure the oil output. If it does not meet the specifications your pump is worn beyond repair.

From
    Melbourne, Australia

Thanks speedfrk:D

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada

Oh my goodness where oh where do you find a drill with a precise tachometer to read the RPM's, plus does this in reverse????

Go ahead, buy the gasket kit, do the work on the pump, no problem. THEN right after it fails the output test, or the seal falls out of the back because the retainer was not properly and squarely staked into the pump body, and the engine blows up. You will end up with a new pump or a conversion to pre-mix anyways....The overall winner in the whole ordeal will end up being the parts department at the dealership, you know the guys you bought the gasket kit and then later the new pump from.

Then the end result..Purchase price of gasket and seal set, plus the time to disassemble, clean, "inspect", reassemble, and test your pump, then you discover it is "worn beyond limits" and still need a new one......Just buy a pump, and save yourself the grief of this petty hassle...I have been in the Powersports business since 1976, and watercraft since 1988, In my experiences, If you are questioning the oil pump's capabilities, replace it! The time and hassle of tearing it apart followed by proper reassembly and testing are by far outweighed by simply just replacing the pump with a new one.

Speedfrk: My reference to specs was not about output of the pump, it was in reference to a specific statement of the internal pump parts "look good". There are no published inspection standards for the oil injection pump internal parts.
    Last edited by John Kubiak; 07-28-2005 at 07:57 AM.
    John Kubiak
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Thread Information