Wrecked GP1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrecked GP1200

I recently wrecked my slightly moded 97 GP1200 and am haggling with Insurance on what to do. The engine was recently rebuit by a performance bike shop and they put upgraded carbs on it (don't know what) and I had done some work to make it stay in the water better. The damage was a direct hit to the tow loop on the front of the hull and put a large gash and crack down about 9 inches as well as cracked the top hull section as well. Everything is pushed in about 4 inches. I also noticed some hairline stress cracks mid hull on the bottom. After some research I learned that the 97 hulls numbered under 5000 were weak and mine does not have the yamaha fix and is numbered under 4000 so I suspect i have a weak hull and those other hairline cracks were from the yamaha problem and not the wreck. Though my insurance company can come to whatever conclusion they want. I have a friend that does fiberglass work on boats and RV's and he said he can repair it and will make the repairs.

That said he and I are both worried that the location of the crack will not be safe or hold up in rough chesapeak bay waters in rough conditions and I am also worried about hte stress fractures under the engines mounts mid hull. Not wanting to total the ski ($1400) I was hoping to do a hull swap. I have had trouble tracking down a 97-99 GP1200 Hull? Are the engine mounts in the 97 - 2000 GP760 and the 98-00 GP800's identicle. IE can I put the 1200 stuff in the 760 or 800?

I appreciate any feedback and if anyone knows of some hulls out there...email me. kakerley@yahoo.com

kkerley33
    GP1200 '97
    Trims Tabs
    Shimmed Ride Plate
    Primer
    K-Squared

1997 Yamaha GP1200
    2000 Kawasaki Ultra 150
    2004 Polaris Freedom (needed one three seater)

Re: Wrecked GP1200

What's your deductable? A totaled ski should be more than $1400 I would think .... a decent '97 gp1200 still costs around $3000 these days ....

Some insurance companies will allow you to buy the trashed vehicle back from them at scrap value or below. It might be worth considering getting whatever you can on it, acquire the salvage, and part out for extra cash.

I have the 97-99 gp service manual and it covers both the 760 and 1200; I can't say from experience, but it looks like the hulls are the same except for the motor.

The SMC hulls on yamahas are difficult to fix the right way, and high-stress areas are even more difficult. I have had great luck with West system epoxy products. For the frontal damage don't do pretty-work and expect it to hold up; any long term success will greatly depend on how strong and thick you build up the inside. As for the mid-hull stress cracks I don't know ... if they penetrate the hull into the engine compartment then I think the hull is probably done for good. Before your front-end damage, did you notice an excessive amount of hull flex when you rode it in rough water?

Unless you really enjoy fixing this stuff, it's probably better to escape from this machine and get something else.
    James
    1997 gp1200
    2000 gp1200r

Comment

Call Wamilton at Wamiltons customs in fla. (yes,that's his real name) He was doing repairs on those gp hulls for the factory. He did ours and it was rock solid while racing 2 years in region 7 plus the world finals(#7) with a fire breathing triple piped engine in it. Never any new cracks and the boat feels solid as a rock.

I have a 97 blank hull with no cracks.Will sell cheap but I strongly suggest doing reinforcement on it before assembly or you will be right back in the same boat again.

Tim/Specialty Watercraft 561.748.9424

Comment

tim,

you have mail
        K-Squared

1997 Yamaha GP1200
        2000 Kawasaki Ultra 150

Comment

Yes you can put your powertrain in a 760/800 hull. They were all made with dual mount provisions.
          J-me
          05 Bayliner 175
          98 GP 1200 Yamaha factory support hull, Lamey engine, Skat pump

Comment

don't know if you are still looking?

I've got the opposite situation, blown engine, good hull.

GP1200, 1998, riva seats, new pump build and upgrades.

also on the Chesapeake.

Comment

Just thought i would let you know....

I am in your shoes now. I found a hull in good shape, in NC. Had my brother haul it the way up to Indiana, ran it for a whole summer than first week out last summer blew the third piston.

Were gonna order an SBT and keep her running, at this point, we just want to see what else we can do to send it Davy Jones Locker. LOL

KAK
              K-Squared

1997 Yamaha GP1200
              2000 Kawasaki Ultra 150

Comment

Working...
              X