new to watercraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to watercraft

Just have a couple of questions about my PWC... i read about the diffrent pistons in my polaris... what are you talking about with PTO, MAG... ect ect. i just bought the ski with a burned #1 piston and have replaced it. now im just waiting on the carbs to get rebuilt before i can try it out. it already has an upgraded fuel pump, is there anything else i should worry about? its a 95 SLT750. it was just rebuilt entirily (except the carbs)but the #1 carb was running to lean, so i opted to have them completely redone. Does SBT sell intake grates for this bike also? mine is shot.

Re: new to watercraft

If it's the stock fuel pump and configuration, it'll still run one of the carb/cylinders lean. Order one of the mikuni 3 outlet pumps and replace it. It takes about an hour to do.

D

Comment

MAG is MAGneto or ignition flywheel end of engine, when this is used to describe a cylinder, it may also be referred to as the #1 cylinder in our 2-stroke engines.

PTO or (P)ower (T)ake (O)ff is a carryover from snowmobiles, and is the driveshaft end of the engine.

The engine you have is notorious for running lean on the MAG (or #1) Cylinder, because the carburetors are suppliec fuel from the fuel pump, in series, starting at the PTO (or #3) carburetor, then on to the CTR <center> (or #2) carburetor, and finally to the MAG (or #1) cylinder. add fueldemand, forward motion of the ski, and gravity, and the #1 cylinder tends to run lean.

There are 2 solutions 1.) Install a late model OEM Polaris triple outlet fuel pump and the associated hoses to supply fuel in parallel to all 3 carburetors. <<or>> 2.) Install an addtional single outlet fuel pump, like the one in this kit http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=a1 that is available here..This will put the PTO and CTR cylinders on series on the original pump, and the MAG cylinder on it's own seperate pump, thereby eliminating the fuel supply issue.

And no, sorry SBT does not have intake grates.
      John Kubiak
      Powersports Technical Training Professional
      Las Vegas, Nevada
      Sea-Doo Tech 13736
      PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
      PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
      NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
      Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

thanks for the info. it has an upgraded fuel pump on it. its still a single outlet but is from a 1200cc engine. dont know from what kind of ski but its definately not the stock one. it looks nothing like the stock or the SBT aftermarket one. after the carbs get put back on im probably gonna buy the three outlet one to be safe.

Comment

In my opinion, DO NOT OPERATE YOUR SKI UNTIL YOU UPDATE THE FUEL PUMP(S) TO EITHER OF THE RECOMMENDED CONFIGURATIONS!!!!

The 1200's used 2 integral fuel pumps one on the MAG carburetor and the other on the PTO carburetor, and both of those feed the CTR or center carburetor. Also the 1200's use Keihin CDK II cabruretors rather than Mikuni Super BN's, the parts are not interchangeable between Mikuni and Keihin.
          Last edited by John Kubiak; 08-01-2005, 06:11 AM.
          John Kubiak
          Powersports Technical Training Professional
          Las Vegas, Nevada
          Sea-Doo Tech 13736
          PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
          PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
          NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
          Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
          X