GP1200R Problems in very rough water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP1200R Problems in very rough water

I have never heard of that type of function - you probably could just benifit from a current aftemarket ignition or control module to solve those kinds of issues.

Many people have commented on the PV controller problem in rough water (20+ mph winds). Our GPR sometimes "remembers" it has problems and won't run correctly for a while afterward.

Last time it did this it wouldn't run over about 5500 rpm and about 35 or so mph for the better part of an hour, even in glass water. Even after shutting the motor off it still ran poorly.

Finally while feathering the throttle for a while it returned to normal and only came close to recurring when again ridden in heavy wind-whipped water . . after moving to less choppy water no further problems were seen in over 6 hours of WOT riding. GP'd 64.0 in fact.

Does anybody know if the CDI learns that the PV is having problems and does something to hold down the performance for a while afterward? The boat is on its 2nd CDI and just wondered if Yamaha can fix this problem or not (extended warranty). Thanks.
    dc

Comment

Then use it!

Comment

This doesn't sound like the symptoms of a PV problem. Next time it happens you remove the seat and ride it see what position the power valves are in - I think you should be able to see the cam with the power valve cables - this way you can determine if it is the PVs or not.

This sounds like the engine was loaded up (plugs covered in oil) - simple fix remove plugs and replace with clean ones. If it happens again pull the plugs, you will be able to see if this is the problem.

Comment

That's true...just to verify, what plugs are in there and what gap are you running?

Comment

Maybe if I didn't have the extended warranty . .
            dc

Comment

Last time I used the OEM warranty the boat was in the shop at 2 different dealers for a total of 10 weeks. Both dealers said the PV controller was working properly and it is on its 2nd oem CDI.

Haven't looked at the plugs since the 2nd dealer (one who replaced the crank seals and reeds and returned the carbs to stock) tuned the boat. I had planned to change the plugs when back at the truck . . but didn't need to when the boat returned to normal. It only does this in very rough water . . .

So you're saying the plugs load up running in rough water at 30 mph? and then clear themselves when pushed further?
              dc

Comment

The plugs are more likely to foul at lower throttle positions, yes.

What plugs and gap are you running?

Comment

BR8ES-11 @0.040
                  dc

Comment

Those are correct.

Comment

Guess we'll try some new plugs tonight anyway . . took a long time to get to full rpms yesterday and it doesn't feel like it's running right at any rpm level . . back to feeling like it did when the reeds were frayed and broken, though not as poorly by any stretch.
                      dc

Comment

If you want awesome rough water performance, get an Advent cdi and be done with it!

Comment

dc,

As you know, my GPR does the same thing. Changing plugs has not solved the issue. My PV's are working properly, as near as I can tell by looking at them while riding with the seat off. Maybe it is a CDI problem?

Any Yamaha experts out there?

Comment

Not windy today, so no real test for the new plugs. Accel and responsiveness was better, but that's normal for new plugs. Top end didn't seem as good, but didn't take the GPS out.

The old PTO plug was solid black and thickly covered with gunk. Middle was pretty good with only limited fouling. Front was a mixture of white and black, no tan.

Guess we'll have to wait for water that is rough enough to regularly unhook the pump for another test.

Scott, if you're keeping the GPR, you might want the Advent, assuming you can get a good one that doesn't take a dive . . .
                            dc

Comment

Whenever it happened this to me (from the first hour of navigation) (exactly the same problem), it was because some type of obstruction existed (plastic stock market, rush, plant, etc.) in the admission taking. Simply I removed the obstruction and the problem finished. You are completely safe of what did not exist an obstruction in the admission taking? [img]smile.gif[/img]
                              ArielARG

Comment

Working...
                              X