Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooster Tail???

I have what is probably a stupid question -

My 95 Raider has both a starboard water exit forward of the handlebars and a vertical water exit at the rear center of the deck. Both work fine in the water.

Since my 94 WR 3 doesn't have either one, I was wondering if there was a particular point to them or are they just for show?
    Do or do not - there is no "try"!

Re: Rooster Tail???

The starboard one shows that water is flowing thru the engine. If it stops
    you've got a blockage and it will over heat. the one on back is just for show.

Comment

Since the forward stream is tied into the top of the Exhaust Manifold (it appears to be some sort of aftermarket exhaust by Coffman), am I to assume that the Exhaust Manifold is waterjacketed?

If this stream were to stop or become greatly reduced, is there something more likely that others to be checked? It currently flows at a pretty good clip even on the flushing hose it shoots out about 3 feet.

This weekend while we were out on the ski, the rubber hose connector between the two halves of the exhaust system split in two and filled the engine compartment with exhaust fumes. No apparent damage, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned about an overheating problem. Nothing seems overly hot and since I just bought the ski, I have no idea how old this rubber hose was, but not being too familar with it, I didn't want to take any unnecessary chances.

Thanks for your quick reply....

BTW - can one of these vertical streams be added to the back of my 94 WR3? Seems kinda cool....

Comment

I would assume the Coffman pipe is water jacketed but I don't know for sure
        A rooster tale can be added.
        http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/sho...t=rooster+tail

Comment

the "rooster tail" on the back of the ski is there to make you more visible to other boaters. Some like it, others disconnect it...or put a valve in the line to shut it off when towing a skier or tubing to eliminate the spray.

Comment

I put a small T-valve to re-direct it downwards when pulling a tube or skiier on my XL. I only re-directed it because I did not know if shutting it off would cause too much back pressure.

On a short rope that spray stings when being pulled into the wind.:emoticonc

Comment

If I wanted to add one to my 94 WR3, where would I tap in to get the stream of water?

Comment

the wr3 came with one ( they all did) it bolts on to the steering nozzle...yours broke off or someone removed it...

Comment

I'm curious about the 94 WR3... my 94 Raider has a spout in the rear deck with a hose coming off of the nozzle.

The WR3 has the reverse gate and no hose or fitting on the side of the nozzle and no holes in the rear deck. The only hose I see is one coming down the left side of the nozzle from further forward. It terminates six or eight inches up inside the nozzle cavity with a short 90 degree hose pointing downward toward the cavitation plate.

Would this be the rooster hose that simply needs to be extended and turned to point up?

Comment

The 94 did not have one. You will have to drill into your exit nozzle and install a fitting then drill through your rear deck to install the fitting. Alot of trouble for a water spray.
                    WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Go to this link and look at part # 50. It is the water spout for a 94 WRIII
                      http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...A700S.asp#stay

Then go to the sbt link shown in one of the above posts and go to page 2 where you will find 2 pictures of what this spout looks like and how it is mounted.

Yamaha used 2 differant types of spout depending on models. The above link shows the type on the 94 waverunner. there are no hoses or outlets drilled into the nozzle. it is just a plactic spout mounted in the exit passage. The opening is larger than the exit so the water is forced into the air by the power of the water exiting the nozzle.

The other type is like the one on my 95 wave venture. There is a fitting in the high pressure area of the pump with a rubber hose that runs to a fitting in the rear deck. Both will shoot a stream 15 to 20 feet in the air. The one on the waveventure shoots more volume and it shoots at a lower speed. The more simple spout gets overwhelmed by the wash at the back of the boat at low speed but once you pick up speed either one works well.

If I had to add one I would go with the simpler spout. All you need is the spout, and 2 each nuts, washers and lock nuts and an electric drill. I had a nozzle from a wr500 I parted out that had the spout. I installed it on the exit nozzle of a kawasaki in about 15 miutes. That's whats in the 2 pictures, a yamaha spout on a kawasaki nozzle so I had a yamasaki
                      *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
                      Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't talking about you

Comment

Thanks for the info. That explains the two loose screws on the nozzle with nothing attached to them.

Comment

Originally posted by David3aces
                          the wr3 came with one ( they all did) it bolts on to the steering nozzle...yours broke off or someone removed it...
                          Ya.....

Comment

Working...
                          X