Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1100 ZXI motor -- what went wrong? (Pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1100 ZXI motor -- what went wrong? (Pictures)

To all the ZXI owners & Experts out there…

I could defiantly use your guidance on my new summer/ fall/ winter project. I managed to get a 96 ZXI 1100 w/ trailer for free here in Ohio. Probably wondering why it was free huh?

From what I understand is that the original owner had about 60 hours on the ski and the motor just blew up 2 years ago. Knowing the owner to NOT be very mechanically inclined and probably never took care or winterized the engine, I can’t imagine why it would have blown up lol… Anyways, I guess after it blew up, the dealer quoted him $4500 for a new engine, when the KBB on the ski was less than $5000 at the time. I guess the case was too badly damaged to even be salvaged.

Somehow, somewhere along the time of those 2 years, he found a guy who offered to build him a motor for $1600. He paid and I guess the guy passed away halfway through the process or something. And I wound up getting the ski with a good title for free.

So right now, I have a basket case 1100 motor. I was told it was NOT the original but one that they found cheap because it was also blown up, but salvageable… Upon inspection, most everything looks to be there. All the bolt and nuts -- everything is in labeled tupperware containers. The only parts I can see missing is all three pistons, wristpins and rings.

What caused the damage? Well with my untrained eye, it looked to me that something went wrong with the front cylinder. First off, the rod and bearing ( or rather, the lack of the bearing) are/is totally shot. The rod didn’t seem bent, but that section of the crank looks pretty scored. Not to mention the crank bearings on either side of it are seized. The rest of the crank assembly seems fine and the rest of the bearing turn ( but then again, this is too the untrained eye too). The bottom crankcase was welded because (from what I can see) when the rod bearing let go, the rod dropped down and fell through the bottom of the crankcase. The weld does look good IMO. So that may save me some money there… I can see A LOT of metal shavings all around the crankcase where the front cylinder is and also all over in one of the reed cages ( which I imagine was on the front cylinder as well)? I’m going to assume that I will also find metal shavings in the carburetors once I start rebuilding those. The front dome on the head is pitted pretty bad. I wouldn’t know if it is salvageable or not.

The one thing that confuses me, is that the cylinders look as if they are in perfect condition. I actually think they might have already have been bored and honed out ( but I thought you couldn’t do that without having the pistons or at least it‘s not recommended?) Maybe they were just re-sleeved… I can’t tell.

Below are some pictures, what is your analysis of what happened to this engine?

Crank

Lower Crank Case

Upper Crank Case

Head

Cylinders

Reed Cages

This is where you previous owners and experts can help me out! What happened -- can anyone tell from these pictures?

What should I do next? I would like to mod the engine while it's apart.

Re: 1100 ZXI motor -- what went wrong? (Pictures)

What to do next....Save time and money, Order a block and installation kit plus three carb kits for your ski from SBT (Short Block Technology...or is that Save Bucks, Totally?) replace complete block assembly with one that has a standard one year (or premium 2 year) fault free warranty to back it up. The best part is that you only have to concentrate on the proper installation of the engine, no concern with internal parts, or assembly this way!!!! Plus most of time the SBT block, ready to install is usually less than the price of just the basic hard parts from a dealer to fix your old engine.
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

John, thanks for the advice on the SBT rebuild….

Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought SBT charges for the damaged parts on top of the $1200 cost of their short block? I don't have any of the pistons, not to mention the crank and one rod are also damaged... So what’s that going to cost me on top of the rebuild cost? $50 a piston and $60/70 for a rod + bearings and whatever else is needed that I‘m unaware of?
      But for that cost, a 2 year warranty would be hard to beat....

The local Kawasaki dealer quoted me $750 for the new crank assembly, and I can get a rebuild for $500ish w/ core exchange. A guy I know at work who runs a speed shop in his spare time said he can weld and true that section of the crank where the rod went bad and it would be about half the price of a rebuilt crank? Is that recommended or worth even considering?

Top end rebuild kit is going to cost me about $260ish....

Since the ski has sat for 2 years and more than likely outside for at least a year, what else do I need to look for besides the carb rebuild kits? Is there anything on the ski I can test by hand to see if it’s set-up or need to be replaced?

I would love to go about it the SBT way, honestly, But I'm thinking of moding this engine since it's all torn apart. I like "hands-on" projects. And since the case is already been welded, I don’t see why I need another short block? (unless anyone thinks the weld wont hold from looking at the pictures?) Also, Since I need to buy pistons anyways, I was going to go with a 1mm oversized pistons and aftermarket head w/ interchangeable domes (preferably 31cc or 33cc for pump gas). Probably an ADA head since the holes for the cooling lines are already existent. (Side note: Does anyone know if the Pro-Design heads have hole pre-drilled into the head for extra cooling lines, or do you have to drill them yourself???). From the research gathered, I'd also like to slightly advance the timing, and modify the stock exhaust and waterbox. Like I said, It will probably be a year before this ski is finished. My goal would be to make the ski reach 60MPH on glass...

So what would I be looking at cost wise for the performance rebuild? I guestimated it around $1,400.00 or so if I do all the labor. I think it will be beneficial to me to do it this way. Over the year, hopefully I can run across some used parts like a head and whatnot. I saw an ADA head on ebay 3 weeks ago and should have bought it then.

The hull is in decent condition for its year. The clearcoat is pealing underneath where the previous owner beached it a lot. The graphics are starting to peel. (Does anyone know where I can get new or custom graphics? Do they even make them?) The one cool thing is it already has the Worx intake and beach House sponsons. I'm pretty sure the impeller is stock though. So if I can get away with building this up and doing all this for less than $2000 - 2500 myself, I'd be very happy. I figure the ski is worth that much running w/ trailer if not a little more.

Any more suggestion anyone? Looking for a little guidance here…

Comment

You would be charged $250 to fix that horrible weld job on the case. We don't use any of the other damaged parts you mentioned, they aren't part of the core.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

SBT block plus the additional $250.00 welding repair: My Opinion; Leave it stock....still a very reasonable way to go with a warranty too! PLUS....The Zxi is a very good performer in stock form...
          John Kubiak
          Las Vegas, Nevada
          Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

Ok, so say I go with the SBT Rebuild for $1100.00 + 250.00 I get a 1 year warranty. Can I pay extra to extend this warranty?

Besides rebuilding the carbs, what else do I need to look into replacing or checking before I run the "new" motor? Also, is there anything I need to check out prior to dropping the motor in the hull?

Again, thanks for the quick responses, It's appreciated.

Comment

Yep, that is the Premium Engine Package (P.E.P.) $1349.00+$250.00+Shipping: It has a 2 year warranty. Here's the link http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...ory_Code=P40-2
              John Kubiak
              Las Vegas, Nevada
              Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

Working...
              X