Not Getting Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Getting Gas

I have a 95 Tigershark Montego that is not getting gas to the carb.
    I have a service manual on the way but want to dive in early! I don't know a whole lot about these engines so this may be dumb....

There are two stems with gas lines coming out of the carb. When disconnected, neither gas line produces gas when the engine turns over. I can blow through the hoses and force gasoline out of the tank, so the lines and fuel filter appear unplugged.
    I spot a grey hose and figure this is a vaccuum hose that must suck the gas from the tank. It pulsates (sucks and blows) as the engine is turned over but when I reconnect it, I don't feel any suction on either of the two stems that used to have my gas lines on them. Shouldn't there be a vaccuum on one or both of these stems?

Also, why two gas lines to the carb? Am I correct in assuming that the vaccuum sucks gas from the top gas line and stem? What is the bottom gas line and stem for?

Thanks!

AngryBlues

Re: Not Getting Gas

First off, you sure isolated dat broken pump, you gotta git a new one.

I think your bottom one is the return to the tank, no?

Comment

Well, as novice as I am... I kinda had that much figured out. Is the "pump" part of the carb or the intake? Is it a diaphram deal or an actual pump? Easily replacable?

Thanks,
      AngryBlues

Comment

The carb rebuild kits sold here have all the parts to rebuild the carb and fuel pump.

The bottom line is the fuel in from the tank, the center is the pulse line from the crancase, the top one is the return line to the tank. Any extra fuel not used by the carb will be returned to the tank threw it.

You should check and make sure the engine will run by putting a little premix down the carb and try to start it first.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Thanks Dank!

The ski seems to run great with a little premix in the carb.

I have the carb's fuel pump disassembled on my table at this moment. The person I just bought it from says it was just rebuilt two months ago. Should I do it again or is there something in here that may just be sticking?

AngryBlues

Comment

Look at the fuel pump valves and check the pop off pressure.

Comment

You may have cracked fuel lines inside your gas tank causing too much air getting added to the gas.

This just happened to me a few weeks ago. I have a 96 Tigershark but I feel they are all about the same inside the tank. Last time out riding my ski was bogging down at about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. I tried adjusting the carb. didn't help and I noticed on reserve I didn't get gas at all! Bought one of them flexible claw pick-up tools cost about $2.00 or less.
              (Note: must be claw type, NOT Magnetic ) I put the pick-up tool inside my gas filler hole and out came the reserve hose. Then I took out the "main" in tank fuel line & hose was cracked up top by hose clamp.

Take off your fuel line/lines, lable them (so you know where they go back on), (I use masking tape & write a note on it) from top of gas tank. then unscrew fitting and look at your inside tank gas line/lines for cracks.

Comment

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I searched and it came up, and seems to be dealing with the same thing I am...

Anyway, I just got a 1993 Tigershark that doesn't run. Upon examination, I immediately suspected that the fuel and oil lines are routed wrong, because what I assume is the oil pump (front of engine, with throttle cable going to it) has the line coming from the valved outlet of the fuel tank, and the line from the oil tank is going directly into the carburetor... that did not make sense to me at all, but there are so darn many lines going around in there, and I don't have my manual yet (it's coming), I thought I'd come here for help.

Anyway, I saw this:
                Originally posted by dank
                The bottom line is the fuel in from the tank, the center is the pulse line from the crancase, the top one is the return line to the tank. Any extra fuel not used by the carb will be returned to the tank threw it.
                That makes sense, but where do what lines attach on the tank?

Is the valve on top of the tank the one that should go to the carb inlet? If so, then where do the "pulse" and return lines connect at the tank? And how many vent hoses are there, and where should they go?

Thanks,
                Ben

Comment

well:

The fuel in at the carb "the bottom fitting" should go threw a fuel filter and then to the fuel on/off valve where it would get gas from the tank.

Next the pulse fitting on the carb will go down to the pulse fitting on the intake side of the engine above the reed cage on the front cylinder.

The fuel return line off the top carb fitting will return to the fuel tank fitting that does not have the valve.

There is another fitting on the tank that is the vent line and it will run behind the engine into the black box under the seat so the tank does not build pressure.

Comment

Oh wow, my whole setup is so jacked!

Today, I took the line from the oil tank off of the carb return fitting and ran it to the oil pump, then took the fuel line off of the oil pump and put it to the carb inlet fitting, which put me one step closer to where I need to be, but I can see I'm still aways out... because:

The vent fitting on the tank was teed, and one line went to the carb inlet originally, so, not having anyplace else to put it, I stuck it on the pulse fitting, as that was the only fitting open at the time... the other hose coming out of the tank vent fitting went to the front intake runner, and now it makes perfect sense why I wasn't getting suction at the intake fitting of the carb... that pulse line from the intake manifold is what runs the fuel pump, isn't it?

Ha! Like I said, I'm coming into this completely blind, and appreciate all of your answers to my stupid questions while I'm waiting on some literature for the machine... although I am feeling fairly good about myself, as I'm doing better than whoever worked on it before, especially considering I've never really worked on a ski before...

Comment

Working...
                    X