Polaris Airbox Upgrade Kit 1992-1995

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polaris Airbox Upgrade Kit 1992-1995

I have 2 Polaris 1995 SL750s. One of them has the "open air flame arrestor" kit issued by polaris installed on it (replaced the clamshell/snorkel design) I had that one done back in 1997 by the dealer. At the time the mechanic told me he "re-jetted the carbs to allow more fuel" and then he showed me how to adjust the fuel mixture on each carb to make sure the fuel mixture was right (based on plug color afte riding it with a load on it). That ski has run awesome for the 8 seasons...and went from 48mph to 52mph.

My question is this: I bought the same kit for the other SL750 (still has the stock airbox on it, all original) and don't know much about carb jetting. The flame arrestor/airbox kit looks pretty simple to install, but I don't know what size jets I need, which jets, or how to install them. Is it necessary to put new jets in? The Polaris dealership that did the great job on my first ski is no longer selling Polaris.. And the Mechanic is long gone... Any other dealership I talk to wants TONS of $$$$ to do it.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Polaris Airbox Upgrade Kit 1992-1995

I've been looking for an "open flame arrestor" type to replace my stock air box.

Give us some paticulars....where you bought it, prices, pics etc
    Thanks.

Comment

http://www.parkeryamaha.com/index.as...D&ProdID=24770

It's the factory issued improvement kit used to reduce water ingestion when ski is flipped over. It was reccomended to me back in 1997 by the mechanic I used to deal with regarding my 1995 SL750 (1st one). It also improves air flow and cc volume to carbs. It's similar to all 96+ airboxes.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks......Even the price is reasonable.

I was looking in Dennis Kirk and I thought the prices were pretty high.

Thanks !

AL D

Comment

No problem... good luck!

Comment

put the new jets in. you should have got a installation instruction sheet with the kit. i found a copy from the last one i did. polaris says install the102.5 main jets on the 750 engines. and the105 main jets on the 650 engines. why the larger jets on the 650 im not quite sure. low speed jets stay the same. update your fuel pump while your at it if it has not been done yet. dont want to melt downyour engine from lean carbs/ jetting or lack of fuel from weak pump. i and others use the 5 sided mikuni high volume pump. it has two outlets,one goes in original fuel rail inlt.other goes inbetween mag and center carb. you will need to install a tee. some people install two tees between pto and center between center and mag carbs, and block off origional inlet.some use triple outlet pumps duel single outlet pumps and some use threesingle outlet pumps the choice is yours. do not remove the fuel line restricter in the return fuel line. good luck. check your metering diaphrams and fuel filters while you have it all apart,and pop off if you have a gauge. you can buy just the diaphrams by themselves from your seadoo dealer or your yamaha dealer about 18,20 bucks needle and seats about the same price,make sure they are the same size, i believe 2.0. or you can wait a couple days and get complete kits from sbt,

Comment

Thanks for the info Frisbee. Also thanks for bthe info on the fuel pump situation. My 1st ski that's had the kit since '97 still has the orig. fuel pump on it. It was just relocated from the intake to the hull via the mod. bracket thets in the kit. Can the mikuni fuel pumps use that same bracket?? Thanks again!

Comment

the kits i have installed were on slt model. i just zip tied new pump to the side of the hull instead. with the fuel lines and electrical that were allready there. i sold my wifes sl-700 this spring. i have not been completly forgiven yet. what a fun boat. but people were driving it wrecklessly. so i sold it. bought here a yamaha wave venture. its to slow,it wont spin, i want a faster boat she says. yup! I says.

Comment

Do you really have to change the jets when you install this up-graded air box?

I just hate to mess with something that is working OK.

Comment

Originally posted by dierdorf
                    Do you really have to change the jets when you install this up-graded air box?

I just hate to mess with something that is working OK.
                    Let's see you just changed the airflow characteristics of your carburetors...they are now capable of flowing more air...If you do not increase the available fuel, you will be runing lean, and could very well seize the engine. At that point your ski would no longer be "working OK".

I would also verify wether or not you need to adjust the pop-off to compensate for the lower restriction of the open element F/A vs. the original design.
                    John Kubiak
                    Powersports Technical Training Professional
                    Las Vegas, Nevada
                    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

the choice is allways yours to make. as the owner. some people say if its not broke dont fix it. i even tell some people, if you dont know what your doing are dont have a understanding of what your about to partake in dont do it either. ask for help. you could end up with a basket case for some poor mechanic to resolve. there are various riding styles. i run wot alot,but i dont just pin it and hold it there till the gas runs out. i cruise at 3/4-7/8 throttle. my son pretty much knows only one speed wot- wot and more wot. hes used to riding a cr wound to the xxxx. my dad grandpa, on the other hand dosent ride hard enough to burn up an engine. even if he tried. i guess my point is if it runs ok ,sounds ok, pulls through the rpms ok , and the plugs look ok , then it probly will be ok. if i had a lean running engine it would not last long. please keep in mind , more air needs more fuel. good luck with your choice.

Comment

can you not adjust the low speed and high speed screw and allow for more fuel to reach them? thats what the screw are for right? for adjusting lean and rich conditions. id install the new air box upgrade and read the plugs. or even give each low speed and high speed screw more fuel for peace of mind before first run and read the plugs frequently for the first hours of operation. if you see that plugs are running lean even by adjusting the carbs for a more richer condition replace the needles.

Comment

Like I said in my first post, I had the Polaris dealership mechanic replace the one on my 1st 95 SL. He told me that he HAD to re-jet the carbs with larger jets to compensate for the air-flow increase. He then showed me how to adjust the (hi-speed?) screw by feel for all 3 carbs. He told me he slapped a new set of plugs in, and that I had to ride it with a load on it for about 20-30 minutes, then pull each plug one at a time, read them and adjust the each carb by 1/4 of a turn. He told me too light brown of a plug- too lean and to richen the fuel. too wet black and to lean it out. He also told me to leave all of them on the richer side because it will insure the longevity of the motor. He was right because that was done in 97 and the ski still performs awesome. My 2nd SL750 (1995) with the closed system with the rubber elbow on it runs great, but feels like its restricted power wise compared to the open-element one. The polaris mechanic never said anything about the pop-off thing or fuel pump. Then again, that was back when the ski was only a few years old.

Comment

Working...
                          X