1993 GTS tangled rope around shaft now won't go past 5-10 mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 GTS tangled rope around shaft now won't go past 5-10 mph

My 1993 GTS sucked in the tow rope and it tangled around the shaft. Got all of the rope out but now the ski won't go past 5-10 mph if I try to go faster all it does is rev... HELP please.

Re: 1993 GTS tangled rope around shaft now won't go past 5-10 mph

Sounds like you damaged the impeller, pump and or wear ring!
    :beer :emoticont

Comment

How could all that be damaged with just the rope tangled around the shaft? How do I fix it, is it a hard job?

Comment

put it on a trailer or boat stand. crawl under it with a creeper and flashlight.look really good . does not take much to cause cavitation. pine cone ,twig, little millfoil around shaft or in grate, shredded plastic garbade bag. rock in grate or in stator . i have experianced all of these from pwc,berkley jets to outboard jets out duck hunting.they are a huge vacume cleaner sucking up any thing in their way. good luck.also look at the clearance between impellor and wear ring. should be quite even all the way around without being excessive.or touching one side and not the other, witch might indicate bent shaft.

Comment

Is it actually cavitating or did you spin the the teeth on the drive shaft? That's what happened when I sucked a rope up.

Comment

Crawled under the ski, everything looks good, I jamed the impeller with a chunk of wood and tryied to spin the PTO to see if the teeth were stripped, but it held tight, any other suggestions?

Comment

Working...
            X