Kawasaki STX 900 Shutting Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki STX 900 Shutting Down

I have a 2000 Kawasaki STX 900 in which I have just purchase a new motor from SBT. After installation I have been on the water about 3 times with no problems.This weekend I put it on the water and noticed that it has a lack of power on the take off and cuts out at about half throttle. I also can get it past half throttle and hold it to the max and the ski will shut off after running full throttle for about 20 seconds but will crank back up. It acts like it is flooding out or no gas is getting to the carbs or even a lost of power.If anyone has had this happen to them, please inform me what to do.I have changed the plugs and also the gas filter.At installation I used a oil pump block off plate and am now mixing my fuel 50 to 1 as required.

Thanks,
    Donny

Re: Kawasaki STX 900 Shutting Down

Do a compression check. What caused the failure of the original engine and what repairs were made?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The original motor burn't a hole in top of one of the pistons due to oiling problem, but I wasn't the owner then. I purchased a new motor from SBT about 2 months ago, when I bought the STX 900.Like I said in my previous post. I blocked the oil pump off with a block off plate an now mix the fuel.
      Thanks,
      Donny

Comment

That's what I figured.

Oil failures do NOT burn holes in pistons - lean carbs/airleaks/bad fuel pumps do. You need more work or you'll just do it again. WHoever gave you the poor advice wasn't a real PWC mecahnic.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It seems to me after I disassembled the ski dowk to the carbs, that it is getting too much fuel, flooding out,( mixed fuel 50-1) due to there was oil on top of the carb and 2 of the spark plugs were real wet with mixed fuel.Looking for advice.

Donny

Comment

try to adjust your carbs or maybe even go to the extent of rebuilding them.

Comment

Working...
            X