Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP1200R took on water from failing to replace drain plugs

Hello everyone,
    I have a GP1200R with about 14 hours on it. Today we took it out on the lake for about 3 hours. I normally remove the boat from the trailer, however, a freind removed the boat and failed to check the drain plugs. The Ski ran great for about 2 hours. Then my cousin indicated that the Ski turned off a couple of times. Therefore we towed the ski in and proceeded home. After we travelled about 10 miles I decided to check the drain plugs and sure enough they were left off. We removed the seat and the engine compartment had water. I am sure it had more water as we had been driving for awhile. We took the ski home and removed the spark plugs. The number 2 cylinder had fluid in it. We sprayed WD40 in all of the cylinders many times. Then we turned the engine over to remove any excess water. I did not remove the breather as I do not know how to get the clips off and do not know if I need to do so. We replaced the spark plugs and turned the engine over a couple of times and it started. It ran rough and smoke some from the rear. We removed the spark plugs and sprayed more WD40 down in the cylinders. We replaced the spark plugs and cranked it again. Still not running great, however, it was running. Took the ski to the lake and it seemed to run fine for about 3 or 4 minutes and then it would die. Try to crank and it would crank up and run for a minute or so. Removed the spark plugs and the front 2 cylinders are firing, however, the rear cylinder does not seem to be firing and also the top of the spark plug was grey instead of brown/black. Took the ski home and sprayed more WD40 in the engine. What do you think the problem will likely be?

Re: GP1200R took on water from failing to replace drain plugs

A grey plug is aluminum residu. Bad news. Do a compression check. You most likely have internal damage. Grey is never good.
    WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Sounds like you still could have water in the 3rd cylinder. When you mix water with oil is tends to look like a milky grey. The plug will be really wet if this is the case and is probably fouled. If the plugs are dry and grey, your problems probably go deeper. I would make sure the cases are 100% free of the water, do a compression test and if everything looks fine toss in some new plugs and get it running asap. To clear your boat of water roll it onto it's exhaust side 90*, ground all the plugs, and get a rag or towel to keep the crapy water from spraying you, your dog and your boat. Push the starter and hold the rag as tight as you can over the plug holes and see if it's still getting wet. Also, be careful not to start a fire:-)
      Good luck.

Comment

You need to follow Antwon's advice and the instructions in this video:
        http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...ad.php?t=12031

Do not delay. You have a very small window of opportunity to save your motor. Do it ASAP!
        "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Comment

Hello,

The grey was on the 3rd cylinder. Performed a compression check and the front two cylinders had ~105psi. Checked the rear cylinder and it had 0psi. You can actually hold your finger over the plug while turning the engine over. My friend suggested it might be a blown valve as the engine sounds good and there appears to be no hole in the piston. Comments?

Comment

Originally posted by ntelligent
            Hello,

The grey was on the 3rd cylinder. Performed a compression check and the front two cylinders had ~105psi. Checked the rear cylinder and it had 0psi. You can actually hold your finger over the plug while turning the engine over. My friend suggested it might be a blown valve as the engine sounds good and there appears to be no hole in the piston. Comments?
            What kind of valve? The GP1200R is a 2 stroke meaning it has no valves besides the Powervalve on the exhaust and the Reed Cages on the intake. Which either of them most likely would not be affected by water at all.

Comment

Like I said. (Grey is never good.) It would run 3-4 minutes and then start missing. Thats when the aluminum and metal chunks are contaminating the new plug. He said he ran it for 3-4 minutes on the first post. Thats enough time to clear the water out. A compression test should have been done immediatly after water removal and before any attempts to start the engine. That may have decreased the damage that it now has for sure after being run again. Now the contamination has most likely spread throughout the bearings. Tear it down and inspect.
              WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

how true, instead of a piston, now it may need the bottom end as well. if you don't have a reliable shop let me know, I may be able to help.
                Last edited by tom21; 08-10-2005, 12:15 AM. Reason: not finished

Comment

Very possible.

Comment

Originally posted by tom21
                    how true, instead of a piston, now it may need the bottom end as well. if you don't have a reliable shop let me know, I may be able to help.
                    Easy boys, he tried to do the right thing by getting the water out. I just went to check the SBT video to see what procedure they suggest (see Uncle-bucks post)
                    I think it's a pretty good procedure and I've used it many times. Did he have metal on his plug before he started it the first time? If he did see it right off the bat, he still went ahead with what he thought was the right thing to do by getting the water out and running the boat at the lake. If he didn't notice it until nothing else was working for him, he still MIGHT have saved his crank by getting the moisture out. If he had done a compression test right after the swamping ( after draining the motor) before trying to get it running and tore the engine down to dry it by hand and oil everything back up, that would have been ideal. But he didn't. He tried to do what he thought was the correct procedure before he posted his problems.

Comment

Wana sell the ski?

Comment

Hello Everyone,

This is becoming an expensive hobby. I took the ski to Jet Trends in Port Ritchey and they tore it apart. It appears that the 3rd cylinder was damaged as the piston was toasted. Since we will be replacing the piston and cylinder should I also replace the power valves? In addition, should I change the impeller and exhaust?

Comment

Got a reply back from Jet Trends today about the engine. They removed the cylinder and told me that the back cylinder oil line came off. They also indicated that the rear part of the crankshaft was very dry and could possibly have sustained damage. Their recommendation is to replace with an SBT motor ~1500.00 plus 500.00 for motor installation. They will replace the cylinder w/piston/rings ~800.00 total, however, no guarantees. Any suggestions?

Comment

Yea sell it to me ;)

Comment

If the oil line came off then the crank was starved for oil also. Why risk it. Get a Rebuilt for $2000.00 with warranty and be done with it or pay $800.00 now with no warranty and in two weeks pay another $2000.00 for a complete motor when the crank fails.
                              $2000.00 now / $2800.00 later Its a gamble. Do you feel lucky?

Or just sell it

Comment

Working...
                              X