1999 XL 760 starting, running problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 XL 760 starting, running problems

My XL760 was running great for the last couple of months. Then last weekend at the lake on the last day we were there I was towing a skier and it died on me. When I tried to restart it the starter made a single click noise instead of the normal turning over sound that it makes when trying to start. I kept having to hit the starter button with this single click noise happening after each push of the starter button. Well it finally started after about 15 trys and then it was running but if I gave it full throttle it would die. I pulled it out of the water and ran the engine and it started fine that time but the engine was making a slight metallic noise that was just noticable but did not quite sound normal. I should mention that earlier that day I helped a friend pull his hobie cat sail boat upright after it tipped over in the water. I tied a rope to the sail boat and the other end to my ski and it pulled the boat upright but it took full throttle. It ran fine for a while after this. I thought maybe it was bad gas/ water in the tank so a couple of days later I put octane boost in the tank and tried to start it with no luck. The thing would not start unless I took the spark plugs out, put fuel in the spark plug holes then replaced the plugs and tried to start it. Well I got it started again and took it to the lake to see how it would run. Well the ski started but would only go 5 mph(if I went any faster the engine would die) for 20 min and then finally slowly started to speed up until it was at close to full speed 50 mph. The noise was still there but not very noticable but I got worried and pulled it out of the water and decided to drop it off at the yamaha dealer. The tech there took a quick look at it and seemed to think it was the crankshaft or possibly the driveshaft because of the noise and the engine was vibrating more that normal although I did not notice it. He told me he would not know for sure unless I left the ski there so I did but he did tell me a crankshaft replacement would run around $1500.00. Ouch!!! I know I can get a rebuilt crankshaft from SBT for around $270.00 but I have heard that you should not just replace the crankshaft only without working on the pistons too because many times problems with the pistons are what cause cranks to fail. Is this true? Are there any other possible causes for the problems my ski has. I just feel that yamaha is going to find the most expensive problem/solution for my ski and I can't afford that.

It sounds like the crank have you pulled the engine? its pretty easy to do it took about 30 min and minamal tools just don"t loose and parts I bet its a bearing that failed you can check it by removing the lower case 8 bolts and make sure that all the bearings spin feely I just had this problem and its not as bad as it sounds See Ya [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]

Comment

OK, first, I doubt any of your problems are related to towing.

Second, DO NOT run the ski any more! You have damage obviously - why would you want to run it more and risk doing more expensive damage? It's not going to fix itself...

Third, it sounds like you have had a fuel supply issue. Either a fuel pump not working, or a clog in a line, or the ON switch is clogged etc. The first thing you need to do is take a compression test, and examine your plugs. I bet you will find some aluminum particles on at least one plug, and low compression in at least one cylinder. Then you can pull the head and take a look at your pistons - I bet you will find detnation damage around the rim.

Comment

Working...
      X