93 XP charging coil wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 XP charging coil wiring

I bought a new charging coil but the shop is closed monday's. The problem I have is the wiring on the old stator is
    white
    black/red stripe
    2 blacks
    yellow to stator
    yellow/ black stripe to stator

new charging coil
    black/red stripe
    black/yellow stripe
    black white stripe
    2 blacks

Do I have the wrong charging coil? can anyone e-mail correct wiring diagram. No access to manual

TIA
    BJ:emoticonr

Re: 93 XP charging coil wiring

Yes you bought the wrong Armature Plate Assembly.

One should have two generator coils and 6 wires and the other will have one generator coil and 5 wires.

Buy the one that matches the one you removed. 5 wires , part #290995104 or the newer superceded number.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

My stator has 3 coils on it. My generating coil has 2 coils on it. The new generating coil has 5 wires. Unfortunatly I broke the generating coil when I removed it so I don't know how many wires it had. So with the color codes on the new generator coil you think I have the wrong unit. Has part # 038260-0630 1 9N made in Japan

Comment

any way to make this new unit work or will timing or something be affected?
        only have 2 days left to be on the water and had to bring this part in 3 days.
        Bj
        TIA

Comment

Nope it will not work.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

OK I went back to shop and they said I have correct part (charging coil) which has 5 wires. My old double coil had 4 wires (93 xp ). I made them look up wiring diagram for my model and it shows 4 wires coming out of charging coils. I told them the 5 wire one was probably a 94 xp. We looked up that model and it showed 5 wires. (same part #) We got on the phone to sea-doo and they said just don't hook up the black/yellow wire as it is for the kill switch on the newer models. So I installed it and now no revs. Was I missinformed or do I have another issue. its like timing is off or rev limiter affected. had good revs befor changing the charging coil.

Comment

If the orginal stator ( armature plate assembly) had 4 wires it has one generating coil.
              Did it have 4 wires? Or 5 ?

A 5 wire stator has two generating coils, one stacked on top of the other at the bottom of the stator assembly.

A 5 wire stator will not work on a motor that had a 4 wire stator in it, because of the differences in the flywheel magnet orientation.

The parts book is very confusing. It lists the 1993 and 1994 XP stators as being the same in both boats, but I have seen some that were not the same. Also, they list 2 different magneto flywheels for the 1994 XP. I know for a fact that if you mismatch the stator and flywheel, it will not work because it throws the ignition timing way off due to the location of the magnets on the two different flywheels. The motor will start, but will not rev up.

You have bought the wrong armature plate assembly.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

There seams to be some confusion on the question I am asking. I'll see if I can attach diagram to explain.
                The old2 diagram matches my machine and wire colors. The new2 diagram matches the new charging coil assembly, including wire colors. With the exception of the new charging coil assembly has 1 more Black/yellow wire. I did not buy a new assembly including stator as your posts seam to indicate. I only bought the new (stacked with 2 coils) charging assembly. The old staor is what you are calling a 5 wire. The new charging coil I received has 1 extra wire, Black/yellow.
                Q. is this a revision which will work in several models?
                Q. Can I use this Charging coil by not using the black/yellow wire?
                Q. Could the resistance values differ and screw my electronics?

I hope this is clearer.
                TIA
                Attached Files

Comment

Did you buy a new armature plate assembly, or just some parts to repair one?

There are two types of armature plate assemblies. One has one generating coil, the other type has two generating coils. Which one do you have now, and is it exactly like the one you removed?

If not, it will not work with the magneto flywheel that you have. There are at least two different models of magneto flywheels that come on these XP engines. There is a third one that was made for single generating coil aramature plate assemblies that came on some 657's and most 587 and all 720 engines.

Wether or not it will or won't work by not using the black/yellow wire is irelevent if you have the wrong magneto flywheel with the wrong armature plate assembly. It will run but without reaching any real good rpm because it will be retarded.
                  I have no idea what "old2 and new2 diagram" means.

Didn't you say yours runs but will not reach max rpm's ?
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM

Comment

The left diagram is the wire color coding for the new charging coil i have
                    The right is for the one that matches my old one.
                    My old charging coil had 2 coils
                    this new one has 2 coils.
                    I am only replacing parts on the mag assembly (the charging coils)
                    I am using the old stator, the old fly wheel which checked out.
                    Question is with this extra wire could it be for a different assembly which will not work with my current assembly.

Comment

Working...
                    X