sucked up rope and filled with water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sucked up rope and filled with water

Well, it was a bad weekend and a stupid one on my part. I was pulling my wife behind the my 95 slt750 and right before we took off I sucked the rope up and it tangled around the driveshaft, I believe. Not sure if that is what it is called. Tried to pull it out from under the waverunner, but had no luck and I was a ways away from the nearest dock so I decided to swim it over to the nearest land. Long story short I decided to flip it over and try to pull it out in some shallow water since I thought the seal around the seat and front department was good enough to hold out water for a minute. YES I KNOW THAT WAS STUPID. Like you would think, the seal were horrible and by the time I pulled the rope off the engine compartment had filled with water. I turner it the right way and immedialty had it towed back to the dock. I got all the water out of the engine and the carbs, but it will not go fast now. I did not start it with water in it and I think it may be due to pulling the rope off of the driveshaft. I had to pull very hard.

When the engine runs it seems like everything is fine but will only go about half speed. Just doesn't have the zip it had before. Was just wondering if this sounds like something happened with the rope being tangled up. It got stuck and killed the engine. Didn't know I had the rope in it and I tried to start it and it died again. The rope is completely out, but now has no power and goes only a little over 20 mph. Doesn't seem to have any bogging or clearing out problems, just a lack of power. I don't think it was due to the water in the engine becuase I have got water in the engine compartment before and drained it with no problems. However, who knows what happened. Hopefully a helpuful reply will give me some ideas. Thank you in advance

Re: sucked up rope and filled with water

check your compression... if you know thats good then its your shaft/pump area

Comment

Could also be water in the gas. Also, make sure you bleed your oil pump ASAP.

Comment

How do you bleed the oil pump. Sorry, I'm a bit new to working on a waverunner. I was going to just pull it out and go to premix. Is there anything I need to do besides that.

I also got the water out of the carbs and there was no water in the fuel seperater, so I figured there was no more water in the system. Unless it could have gotten into the fuel pump.

Comment

There is an 8 mm hex head screw on the oil pump. You need to open it a little and look at the line from the tank to make sure that you get the air out of the lines. When the air is gone, tighten the screw. Kinda like bleeding the brakes on a car, but without the pumping. The pump is on the lower part of the block, under the 2nd & 3rd carbs. Also check that there isn't any water in the oil tank.

Comment

I will do later on today. If there was water in the tank, don't you think the fuel/water seperator would have picked it up. It has never shown any signs of getting water in it. One last question: When I pulled the rope out, the shaft spun several times. Could it have spun something loose, becuase it was very difficult to spin. I'm not sure exactly what the coupler looked like before, but there appears to be a little gap between it and the engine block. Thanks again

Comment

I was refering to water in the oil tank. The fuel seperator won't take care of that. As for the coupler, a pic would help alot. I doubt that you could have unscrewed it by pulling on a rope, and even if you did, just running the engine in the water should tighten it back up.

I had a similar problem a while back. My brilliant friend flipped mine over and it was doing almost the same thing. it took a few tanks and bottles of water dry gas to clear it up.

1 more thing. did you remove the auto cock from the fuel system? It;s a little round blue thing that shares a screw with the fuel pump. There was a TSB way back to remove it because it would limit the amount of fuel that the pump could suck. if your not sure, do a search and you should be able to find it.

Comment

I guess I misread the oil tank for the fuel tank. I will check that out later when I get home. I'm not sure if I have a auto cock in my fuel pump that your talking about. I don't have the stock fuel pump. When I bought it, the waverunner had one that fed gas to each cylinder independently. I guess I could put a pic of the coupler on here later, but it wouldn't be for several hours. I hope it is just a water problem like you had. What are bottles of water dry gas. It probably is what is sounds like. It must take the water out of the system. If so, can this be bought at an automotive store. I appreciate your help.

Comment

oops! not water dry gas. just dry gas. The stuff you can buy almost anywhere to get the water out of the fuel system. Basically alcohol.

Comment

do I just add it to the fuel tank

Comment

yes.

Comment

Working...
                      X