96 Sea Doo Xp won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Sea Doo Xp won't start

Sea Doo started for few seconds after replacing the spark plugs. Could not get it to start since then. Cranks, but will not start. Solenoid and the starter have been replaced about a year ago. No nothing about the condition or the history of the carburetors.

Please give me some advice where to start the diagnostics.

Also, where can I find the repair manual (paper or CD) for the 96 Sea Doo XP?

Thanks

Re: 96 Sea Doo Xp won't start

You can find a manual at a Sea Doo dealership.

First figure out if it lacks fuel or spark or compression. If it has those three at the same time and the rotary valve works, it will run.

Will it start if you pour some fuel into the sparkplug holes?
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have not tried to start with fuel in spark plug holes. I'll try that 1st. It hasn't run over a year. Still got leftover oil and gas in the tanks since last use.

Comment

A common problem after long storage periods is the needle valve in the carb gets stuck shut and will not allow fuel into the motor.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

Do you recommend that I take carburetors apart, clean them and put the original parts back together or buy a rebuild kit and replace the old parts with new ones?

Thanks

Comment

Never reuse gaskets. Always use a kit.
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Compression showed 120 on both spark plugs. Getting spark to the plugs as well. rebuild both carburetors. Clean the fuel filter. Cranks but, won't start. Will start for few seconds by pouring some gas into the spark plug holes.

Are the carburetors parts on this model are identical? When I took them apart the 1st one had everything according to Mikuni carburetor rebuild handout from sbt. The 2nd one did not have a diaphragm, gasket damper in it. When you compare the 2 carburetors, physically they're not the same size either.

I'm thinking about pulling all the fuel lines and checking for blockages. What else could go wrong here? Any help would be very helpful.

Comment

The carbs are different one has a fuel pump, mag side, the other does not.

Yes, pull the line and check for blockage, the selector switch goes bad.

Comment

120 is way too low for compression . are you sure your guage is working properly? if it is. you need a top end rebuild.

Comment

Could you please tell me where the selector switch is located and how I can test it to see if it is good or bad?

The compression tool is brand new. I tested both plugs several times. Same results all the time. I figured even with low compression, the ski should still start. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Got plenty of gas and oil, but when I pulled the main gas line to the 1st carburetor, fuel did not come out from the line. Does fuel flow to carbs by gravity, vacuum or by a fuel pump for this model?

Thanks

Comment

The selector switch is the one that selects on off reserve. You can blow back though the lines to see if they are clear.

120 is low but if they both read the same I would not be too concerned unless you have a expensive well calibrated tool.

Comment

I'll do as you say and will post the results here very soon. The compression tool is from autozone. Cost around $20.00.

Comment

A common mistake is reversed fuel lines to the carbs, or leaving the pulse line off of the fuel pump or engine cases.
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM

Comment

Working...
                          X