Symptoms if water mixed with gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symptoms if water mixed with gas

My wife wants to know what are the symptoms if some water was to somehow mixed with fuel in a two stroke jet ski.

Her 900Zxi took on water so much that half of the jet ski was submerged under water. Apparently, her mom, aunt, and herself tipped the jet ski so many times that it took on so much water. I think the weight of three people trying to get on the jet ski forced the rear to sag under water.
    By the time I got there, the back end of the jet ski was under water. The entire engine was under water.

I was able to get all the water out and got it started. Once I started it and let it idle for 5 minutes, I left the jet ski sitting in the garage for about 6 months.

I recently ran it but it could only get to 4k rpm. Once in a while it would jump to 8k rpm for a little bit. Out of the water, it could go to 8k rpm. The throttle response seems okay out of the water but in the water, it's a difference matter.

I have to ease the throttle to prevent it from stalling. When it runs, it can only go about 20mph sometimes it would go faster but rarely.
    My wife said that later in the day it ran much better than before but power was not there.

A few people say that the reed is the problem but my wife thinks that it may be water in the gas.

Any ideas?

Re: Symptoms if water mixed with gas

The fuel system is sealed, but water can still get in through the vent.

However, your problem is most likely water in the fuel pump and carbs. What model and year is it? You need to rebuild the carbs, examine the reeds while you are there, and I would replace the fuel pump.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

6 month old gas can be bad gas. Drain the fuel system and put in fresh fuel. Also, you should have a water seperatr bowl in the hull somewhere, unscrew that and empty it. If the problem persits, if might be time for a carb rebuild.
      Dan Solie -
      04 RXP (the "Instigator")
      94 xp (freestyle mods)
      95 xp (faster than the 94)
      JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Her jet ski is a 95(or 96) Kawasaki 900 Zxi.

I filled the jet ski up with 4 gallons of new gas when we rode it. By the end of the day, there was only 40% fuel left in the tank though.

Comment

after all this, I'd change the fuel filter.

Comment

i`d prob try some fresh plugs aswell....

Comment

Can someone explain why, out of the water, the throttle is very responsive?
              There is no hesitation at all.

All three cylinders seems to be at the same temperature when I touch. I can for now rule out that there is some cylinder seizing.

Comment

REMOVE THE CARBS AND REBUILD THEM OR YOU WILL NEED TO TALK TO SBT ABOUT A NEW MOTOR :emoticonl :emoticonb

Comment

My wife removed the flame arrestor cover today and sprayed some carb & choke cleaner in that area. She then tested the ski in the water. She said that the ski ran fine for about 15-20 minutes, then exhibited the same problems again, i.e. running fine at about 5-10 mph (4000 rpm), but stalls if she pulls on the throttle to increase the rpm. At times, the ski will run at about 5000 rpm, but she couldn't get it to go to past 5000 rpm. Does this narrow the problem? Any help is much appreciated.

Comment

Jeezus are you TRYING to kill the engine?? So you sprayed carb cleaner right onto the the crank bearings - real nice way to RUIN them! Follow the advice given in this thread already or take it to a professional.
                    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

She thinks the carb cleaner is the miracle spray.:emoticonc

Comment

REBUILD THE CARBS i DID THIS JUST SO IT WOULD BE EASY FOR YOUR WIFE TO READ FROM ACROSS THE ROOM:emoticonl :emoticonb thanks mike

Comment

Update:

She purchased a new starter motor for $100 (great deal!).
                          She was able to install the new starter by herself but she broke one of the two bolts holding the starter.

She wants to know if she can just use the one bolt or she needs to remove the broken bolt first? Basically, is the one bolt strong enough to keep the starter motor together with the engine?

Hey, I wasn't there so...don't blame me! :emoticonn

She wants to do this on her own and she said she enjoys doing it.
                          I'm buying myself a new Octane so I don't care.... :emoticons

Comment

the reason the bike runs so fast out of the water is because there is no resistance on the prop from water.

Comment

um, ok. So, she is something. Hope you're not blaming her for your mistakes. Anyway's, you'll want to drill and tap for another bolt. Well, she will. Well, I mean, get a shop to do it and spend the big bucks, 'cuz you're (or she's) askin for more trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X