Ski Won't Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ski Won't Start

Ok i'm new to jetskis/waverunners and this is my first one its a 2000 yamaha 1200gp with about 19hours onit. I took it out wednesday in the morning and the afternoon and it worked fine. Took it home and drained everything whiped it down, ran the engine with the hose attached etc. Now when i went to start it today it wouldn't start. I'm charging the battery at the moment to make sure its not that. It attempts to start i can hear the engine go start to turnover, well starts spinning or whatever, its like a thumping noise. Sometimes it will just thump once and sometimes multiple times trying to start but it wont doit it for more than a second or two. Then i have to try again, some smoke started to creep up on the lower left of the engine compartment if your facing it from the back. Not a lot but enough to make me nervous. It smelled like somthing was burning i dont know if this is the starter down there or what. It seemed to be from right where an electrical connection attached to a black cylinder. The cylinder was hot heh. Please help me i'm going to the dealer tomorrow and praying to god this isn't something serious.
    "Just ride and never look back"

Re: Ski Won't Start

Im not sure why your cylinder was hot, but if it sounds like a sloth in turning over once or twice, its your battery, wait until its charged and try it again.

Comment

k ill try it in the morning after its charged up, i really hope the starter isnt burned out or anything too serious:-/

Comment

The smoke is most likely from the starter and wires that are being asked to work too hard. It is trying to turn an engine which is locked up for some reason. Did you have the hose running when the engine was not running? If yes, that is why the engine is locked up, it has water in it. Pull the spark plugs, do not stand over or have your face / eyes above the holes. Hit the starter. If water shoots into the air come back on here and find the video section. watch the video on clearing a swamped ski. If you have water in your engine you need to get it out immediately. And you need to get it running so the moisture gets burned off from the heat of the running engine and the moisture gets replaced by the oil that lubes the engine when it is running. If you have water in the engine and you leave it overnight it will cause damage.
        *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
        Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't talking about you

Comment

o ****...........im onit dear god help me i had no idea the hose that attached to it meant it had to be running at the same time im going to check pray for me

Comment

sorry I didnt catch that, didnt read carefully enough. Yes jetski's are nothing like outboards that Im sure you were treating it like. Theres no water pump on a jetski first of all, and having water on without engine on makes water backflow into the engine. How many hours has the water been in your engine? If its over 15 thats really NOT good, and if its over 24, you seriously want to think about getting a new engine. Get that thing started pronto, and report back

Comment

Click below link for water ingestion video.

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12031

Comment

Dowkk u just saved my ski i ran outside and me and my family got it tipped over and all the water out and ran everything it now starts right up and idles beautifully, i cant thank u enough, this was the biggest help ever my family and i as well as the ski thank you so much. It runs great and tomorrow will now become another great day of riding, after of course i go check my oil levels and put in brand new spark plugs. If theres anything else i should do let me know im going to pickup a compression kit too so i can checkit if i need to, any more help is appreciated thank you again :emoticonc

Comment

how long did you run it? If you just started it up for 30 seconds, thats not enough time, you have to have it running for a while so all the water will get out of it.

Comment

i have been running it on and off for about the last 20minutes with and without water i just finished running it without water but i didnt revit over 3k so it wouldnt overheat. Anything else i should do

Comment

you'll be fine then! Just make sure you've read over a proper flushing procedure (start motor, turn on water not full blast- too much pressure can be too much-, about a little over half pressure or less, shut off water, rev engine in spurts to 3/4 throttle for 10 seconds, shut off motor, done) and have fun

Comment

k ill do that right now, once again thanks everybody i cant say it enough!!!!!!!!!

Comment

"Dowkk u just saved my ski"
                          I hope so, if I did I was just passing it on. I have tried a few forums and this is one of the best. I have been helped and I see others helping each other every day.

Now you have to pass it on. I does not have to be about jet ski's. There are things you know more about than others or things you can do better than others. When someone else needs help and you can provide it, just pass it on.

By the way, where in CT are you. I lived in Seymour, then Oxford, then Morris, next to Litchfield. I kept moving closer to the NY / Mass border. I think they were trying to get rid of me.

Comment

OOPs, got the CT mixed up with another post, I see it's Long Island.

Comment

yeah im down in LI ill be out on the bay all day today but i goto college in philadelphia i'm always down to go riding in new places if u ever want to meetup and ride

Comment

Working...
                              X