SLT 750 whining noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLT 750 whining noise

took the ski out on the ocean today and after about 1/2 tank of gas it started sounding like its supercharged. as much as i like the whine of a good roots charger i an highly disapointed that my polaris is trying to imitate one. after taking it out of the water and getting it home it sounds great while on the water hose. i checked the inpeller and pump for debris and cant see any at all. so where should i start. it recently had a top end rebuild and has ran excellent until now.

Re: SLT 750 whining noise

after getting my flashlight and looking into the pump housing there is a couple of peices of sea-grass but im talking one or two strands, not enough to make any problems.... im gonna pull it apart and see if theres anything else in there.

Comment

the puymp looks good on the inside now that i pulled it apart... the PTO thingy looks pretty DRY. i dont think the previous owner EVER greased it. could that be where the whine is coming from? how does that thing work, is it like a clutch?

Comment

grease the coupler and the stuffing box. The bushing in there could be dry.

Comment

when i greased the coupler the drive shaft moved backward a healthy 1/4 inch or so. is that normal?

Comment

there should be a rubber bumper on each end of the driveshaft. when you install it they stop lateral movement of the shaft.

Comment

And yes it floats a little.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

can someone post up a picture of where the coupler connects to the motor. mine looks a little canted downward... it spins fine, it just doesnt look right to me. could those bearings being dry cause my ski to spund like its supercharged or is the problem most likely somewhere else. out of the water it doesnt do it. just under a load.

Comment

They should be perfectly straight. If not your motor and/or pump is out of alignment - see a Dealer.
                  SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                  We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                  Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

noise could also be from your pump bearings.

Comment

i bought another pump for it and im waiting to get it in the mail. $180 shipped andi couldnt pass that up. its the entire pump assembly and the seller says its in excellent shape. hopefully that will get rid of this god awful whining noise. its getting louder, but it still only happens when the ski is in the water. ive always heard that when pump bearings go bad you can hear it out of the water also. is that true? when the boat is out of the water it sounds wonderful.

Comment

Working...
                      X