impeller problems!!! again!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• impeller problems!!! again!!!!!!!!

What would cause the edges all around the impeller to be worn down in one day???????? I have new driveshaft, new bearings and seals in pump, and was a brand new impeller..... my clearance between the impeller and the housing was about .254 mm on average. I started hearing a funny noise (which i assume now was the impeller grinding down) when I was doing 180's and then later it kept getting worse and started making the noise when i jumped waves. Now i have lower bottom and top end.... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: impeller problems!!! again!!!!!!!!

did you drive it in really shallow water, or beach it and not clear the sand out of the pump?

Comment

nope... if i beach it I am always extremely careful to clean any sand out before operation. The only thought I had was possibly the engine not being bolted down quite securely or something.... maybe a bad engine mount... any ideas?

Comment

Was the impeller properly torqued down when it was installed? I have seen them come loose and they will start to wobble and wear down both the impeller and wear ring area on the pump.

Comment

pop out the pump and check the bearings. All it takes is 1 pebble to crack the plastic tail cone an let water into the prop bearings. With the pump out, try to move the engine and check the mounts.

Comment

Does anyone know the torque to tighten the impeller to so it does not come off? this could be the problem...... also, I am planning on using a high strength locktite on it. Is this good, or does anyone have any better ideas? or possiblities why this is happening??? If a wear ring is worn, could this cause cavitation that would make the impeller hit around the edges??

Comment

Nothing makes an impeller hit other than a swollen wearring/housing. Tighten the impeller as tight as you can get it - it self-tightens in the water.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by ericfox
                Does anyone know the torque to tighten the impeller to so it does not come off?
                Torque spec is 90ft lbs.
                WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
                Skat Trak D-75 SS 6 Vein Pump
                Skat Trak 13/18 Swirl Impeller

Comment

Brian, what about a damaged engine mount? Could this cause this type of damage? Also, how is it that the wear ring would swell? Not saying it can't happen..... just curious how it could happen. Thanks

Comment

If the mount was so far gone that the impeller was effected, the through-hull carrier and engine would have been toasted first.

The steel liners pressed against the aluminum housings develop corrosion between them, that builds up and presses the liners inwards. It happens mostly from lack of care/washing.
                    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

if you were badly out of alignment, I could see your engine mount causing a problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X