'97 770 Daytona dies on take-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 770 Daytona dies on take-off

It starts and idles just fine. It runs at high rpms perfectly. If I open the throttle full from idle it dies immediately. To get past the dead spot I have to barely ease the throttle open and let it work it's way up in rpms untill all power kicks in,then it will take off like in a power band. I don't have a repair manual for this ski so please bare with me. I pulled the only jet I found on each Mikuni carb. It is on the left side of each carb. They were nasty and I cleaned them up. That solved the heavy smoking problem at start up, but did not change the stalling problem. I adjusted the idle screw, but that has nothing to do with it. It seems that when the throttle butterflys open wide quickly it kills it. Too much air at once, I assume, but don't know what to do about it. I tried oening the throttle up with it at different choke positions, but that dosn't seem to be affecting the problem.

Re: '97 770 Daytona dies on take-off

You need to order rebuild kits and rebuild the carbs. There are two more internal jets inside.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Thanks. What about cleaning the other two jets you mentioned? What do you feel is damaged in the carb?

Comment

Look at the guide for rebuilding carb in the tech section. You won't know what is damaged untill you get them apart.

Comment

10-4

I don't have a shop manual, but have been into several 4-stroke carbs. Is there anything I need to be aware of while disassembling these two 2-stroke Mikuni carbs?

Comment

Get a hand impact wrench so you can get the screws out without striping the heads.

Comment

Thanks. I've got them off, just havn't disassembled them yet.

Comment

Working...
              X