Carb Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Issues?

Just installed 3rd sbt engine on my 2003 XLT800. Carbs were rebuilt using sbt's kits. Popoff pressure was set at 40 psi. Low and Hi speed adjustments were set 2 1/4 out on Mag.... 1 7/8 on PTO and Highs at 1/2 out on both Cylinders. As I was performing the breakin of the new engine I observed the following: 1. After running each 30 minute interval and and letting it rest for 30 minutes ant then try to stat it again, the engine would flood. After the first time this happened the only way I could get it to stop was by turning off the fuel cock during the cool down period. Even then it requires much effort to start it back up. 2. It is sluggish coming out of the hole and did ok when performing the 90 % throttle breakin step. 4. I put 50:1 in the fuel tank and my oil tank was full when I started with the full tank of gas. During that first tank of gas the level of my oil tank did not seem to change at all. My other 2003 XLT 800 goes through about a 1/4 tank of oil per full tank of gas. I plan on continuing premix until I work out the the oil issues. What is the correct premix ratio for a 2003 XLT800 after the breakin period?

Re: Carb Issues?

There's no way your pop-off is correctly holding at 40 psi, and also letting the motor flood. Replace your needle & seats.

Your oil pump is obviously dead, if your tank level did not drop. Change it or remove it now. The stock ratio is 32:1
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

What size are the stock needle/seat and low/hi jets for a 2003 XLT800?

Comment

you'll know when you remove them.

Comment

I don't recall, I can check the manual in the morning if no one else posts before then.

Comment

Did you get to check on the sizes?

Comment

Jan i have a 2003 xlt1200 and i know its probably different but my main jet size is 117.5 and the pilot jet size is 87.5.Good luck finding the information that you need
              2003 XLT1200 RIVA STAGE 2

WAVEATER POWERVALVE STUFF
              COMMERCIAL TINY TACH

Comment

Don't throw in numbers for a different engine, someone might get confused.

The fich shows the xlt800 uses a 90 and 150 with a 1.2 N&S.

Comment

Is 32:1 too rich? The SBT break in article says to to use 32:1 with the first 10 gallons of gas, which is supposed to be extra rich. I have spoken to other PWC enthusiasts and they said 40:1 is best since 32:1 will have a tendency to foul up the spark plugs.

Comment

32:1 is the stock WOT ratio for Yamaha 800 and 1200pv engines, as I have already said.

Comment

Working...
                    X