How do i get this thing apart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i get this thing apart?

i need to get to the bearings in the impeller, but it seems to be welded together at the seam to get to the cone out. help please? the impeller looks great with no pits or anything. the bearings are noisy and need replaced.
    Attached Files

Re: How do i get this thing apart?

Once you get the screws out try using a rubber hammer to convince the cone to come off. A little love tap should help to get it off.

Comment

trust me... this thing should be pregnant with all the "love taps" ive been giving it.

Comment

If you are talking about the venturi, or the last section of the pump, try this.

2 of the 4 screw holes have a little spot for a mediul size flat head screwdriver. pry a little on each side and it should start to come loose. it would help if you stick the impeller removal tool in a vise tight and than pop the impeller over that. this way you should end up with the parts almost eye level, and pretty solid.

good luck. that thing is a mess. I love fresh water!

Comment

its welded together by the salt water. you'll need more than love taps on that babe!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You are dealing with a lip and collar that was a pretty tight fit when it was new and before the corrosion started the welding process. I placed the blade of a sharp knife on the seam and tapped the knife with a hammer. I worked slowly around all 4 sides. The knife got things moving just enough to let me graduate to a putty knife and hammer and eventually prying with the putty knife. Remember there is a lip in there so you can only go into the seam a short distance before hitting the lip. Don't keep pounding or you will take chunks out of the lip.

I am sure that is not an approved method and you have to be patient. Wear safety glasses any time knives and hammers are involved. Get impatient and you will break some aluminum. Go easy and it will come apart.
            *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
            Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't talking about you

Comment

Working...
            X