new engine siezed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new engine siezed

bill, i did not say it was your fault. i certainly did not. there is not one sentence on this thread that says that. i never said it was your fault at all. what i'm saying is, this engine mayb have been a defect from day one. thats what i'm saying. and like i said before, it will run well behond that "bog" zone. and it will not tune out no matter what i do. bill, did you check the compression on the otehr cylinder? because the cylinder you showed the compression on for me was the mag cylinder which wasn't the damaged cylinder.

and one last thign i want to know. what caused this damage? it just occured yesterday when i took it out on the lake. i was traveling at about 35-40 mph and let off the throttle to check the low end when it just cut off and died on me. i couldn't restart it again.

Comment

Originally posted by radiocontrolhead
      ok, i just rmembered something. upon dissasembling my engine. i noticed that the intake manifodl gasket. the gasket between the carb and the rv cover was not properly on. the hole didn't line up w/ the hole for the screw, it was completely twisted and had no effect, this was the side w/ the destroyed piston. coudl this be why the engien was fried? it created a lean mixture? like i sid, this was the work i got from bill.
      So is this accusing Bill, or are you admiting you screwed it up?
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

no it wasn't, i'm just asking, could this be a possible factor? tahts all i'm asking. if that was the problem, then thats all i want to know, but if it was, that still doesnt' help me resolve the previous issue of why the engine woudl not take off. I know that Bill and I are both very frustrated right now, this is a very frustrating for me. i have spent many hours, money, energy, on the project only to find out it will not work out in the end? and i feel liek i've just put a great burden on Bill and i really DO NOT want him to feel that way. i took the ski to bill because i know he does great work and that i can trust him. the carbs were rebuilt and looked over multiple times and it still woudl not run properly. the only thing i can think of is it was just a defect.

the question was still not answered as to what caused this? usually when a piston heats up, isn't it at the top speed runs?

Comment

Without a through inspection of all of the parts, nobody cal tell you what caused the failure. I do not remember checking the compression in the rear clyinder, that day, as I assumed it was still a new motor in good condition.

I said if you "feel" like we caused your problem, then allows us to see if in fact, it was something we did. You mentioned a carb gasket being askew. An inspection of that gasket will tell me if it were leaking air, or if it was still sealing air from entering the manifold. Stuff happens. Those carbs have been off three times here, who knows?

It is difficult to know what happened to a motor when all I have is a computer screen to look at.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

it's going to be hard to tell now, the engien is out of the engine and ready to be sent right back to SBT for a thorough analysis.

one hole on that gasket was lined up but the other one was not. so it was really shifted to one side. coudl it cause the siezure if indeed too much air was being let in?

but if this was the problem, like i said in my last post,

what caused the bogging problem? i think it may have been a defected motor from day one if you didn't check teh compression on the rear cylinder. who knows. i just hope this new engine will fire up and run like it used to. thats all.

Comment

And yes, if a carb base gasket was not sealing it would burn down that cylinder from being too lean.

Comment

will my previous problem ever be solved?

Comment

You didn't answer the question. You clearly state a carb base gasket was askew. One of you did it. Which one do you think it was?

Comment

Originally posted by radiocontrolhead
                    will my previous problem ever be solved?
                    It will if you take it to a Pro like Bill and let him do the install and fix whatever else is wrong with your ski.

Comment

the work was done by bill. but i dont think it woudl have let too much air into the engine. the gasket has two holes, one for each bolt. but one bolt was not at all positioned. there was that cooper spray on it.

what i'm guessing is that. if this was why the engine siezed up, coudl it be that bill adjusted my rv timing correct and it would have been running well if the gasket was on correctly? i dont know what to think. all i know is, that if my next engine will fire up like it should, i blame no one.

Comment

Just because a gasket is slightly askew doesn't mean the carb was not still seated on the remaining gasket surface, but it is possible that it was leaking air. I have seen this before many times, even on oem motors. It is not too hard to do it wrong. Sometimes the gasket gets a bit off centered duruing installation of the carbs. An inspection of the gasket will show the indentation of the carb base at the inside diameter of the carb throat. If the indentation is a full 360 degrees on the surface of the gasket, chances are that it was not leaking air. If the indentation of the inner diameter of the carb throat goes past the edge of the gasket, chances are you had an air leak.

I removed and replaced the carbs three times, each time using two new gaskets.

If I screwed up, let me install the new motor, set the timing and the RV valve. No charge to you.
                        Bill O'Neal <br>
                        WCM
                        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

so that boggin problem will still not be solved or what? i nkow it wanst' the carbs becasue bill tore them apart 3 times. what else could the bogging come from?

Comment

I have no idea - I can't see your ski. It's possible it was something internal. It could have been something on the install. It could have been something in your fuel system - no way I can guess! We'll know more when we get the engine, as you've been told. Bill loaned me his crystal ball, but FedEx must have dropped it, it's got a crack in it.

Comment

Hey radiohead

Pick up the telephone and call Bill. Please.

You're not doing anyone any good continuing this on here.

Its done. Move on.

Comment

and it's cerntainly not done. put urself in my position, which you really can't, because this is just way too frustrating for me. i expected for this to work out real smoothly. just put urself in this situation. you're thoughts woudl not be what they are now.

Comment

Working...
                                X