No announcement yet.

What should I replace with Engine Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I replace with Engine Out?

Hi all,

I'm replacing the engine in my 02 Kawi 1200 STX-R with a new SBT Premium engine (can't beat a 2 year no-fault warranty). Since I have the old engine out I was wondering if there is anything else I should be replacing on a 3 year old ski with 70 hours of use. I just bought this ski a few weeks ago for my 18 year old daughter and it will be stored an hour away from home at the lake near her college so I would like to head off any potential future problems now while I have it opened up. Seems that I have read on this or another forum that a bearing having to do with the shaft or pump goes out after 100 hrs or so...Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Are there any pump related items I should change out? I am taking the fuel tank out and emtying it out into a jar to make sure I didn't have water in the gas. I'm going to change out the fuel filter while I'm at it. I was thinking of swapping out the oil lines and possibly the fuel and water lines.

I am disassembling and cleaning the CV carb at the moment. It looks very good, the only thing that looks a little worn is the gasket (Parts Diagram calls it the Jet Case Packing) between the carb body and the Jet Case. Is there anything that I should definitely change out while I have the carb opened up?
    I am replacing 2 of the main jets back to stock 165 from the 155 that the previous owner installed. I have found a great deal of difference in price for these from different dealers. One wanted $9 each another wanted $12.49 each and then I found a site that sold parts for motocycle Keihin CV carbs and they only wanted $3.25 for the round 165 main jet. Does anyone have a reliable/affordable source for these parts?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bobby C.
    2002 1200 STX-R (Running Great with New SBT Engine) :D

Re: What should I replace with Engine Out?

Jet prices are always in that range, that's normal. Definitely go back to the stock jets if the ski is stock - jetting DOWN 10 like that is crazy on that ski!! Replace every gasket you have disturbed - none are reuseable.

The pump bearings are the only things that should need attention on that ski for a very long time - that ski is pretty much new at this point.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I always buy them through Skiworx. But I have to admit I have never shopped around for them. If the oil lines look ok, don't worry about them. If they are cracked at all replace all of them at once.
      Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
      2002-1100STX DI
      2004-15F
      2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Thanks Tech, can you be more specific about the gaskets? The only gasket I see in the parts diagram is the diaphram cover gasket.

Thanks Paul, the old "clear" lines aren't cracked but they are stained dark and it is difficult to see if oil is actually in the line. I was going to replace them with new clear line to make it easier to see oil flowing and possibly any bubbles in the line.
        Bobby C.

Comment

That, and the carb base gasket.

Comment

Will the carb base gasket be in the gasket kit that will come with the SBT Premium engine?
            Bobby C.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Working...
              X