Stumped!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stumped!

So measuring #2 and #1 wouldnt tell you anything right? I still think its ignition related, is there a way to check that its getting a strong enough spark? I know all three cylinders are geting spark. Also is there a cdi and an igniter or is CDI the type of ignition and the igniter is the control unit? What should I check next? Thanks for any input.

Comment

you can check spark by taking the plugs out and grounding them to an unpainted bolt on the head, and turning over the engine. Make sure they get a good ground, or you can damage other electrical parts.

Comment

As soon as I can get it back from the dealer (he has to swap back the flame arrestors and water box from another ski he had in the shop) I will check the plug wires. I do know that its getting spark though. It did run with one wire pulled out of the coil for a while, what could that have damaged?

Comment

Mac,

I feel your pain. However, mine just started. I have the EXACT same symptoms as those you have with your ski with my '96 1100 Zxi. It pulls fine (normally and powerfully) at half throttle and goes right up to 4500 RPMs and 35-40 mph. If I find the "Sweet spot" on the the throttle, which is the point where it starts to do it's blub, blub, blub, blub, ... thing (sputtering), I can coax it up to a sustained 5000 rpms.

The ski was running just fine this weekend (60+ on speedo) until my girlfriend and I flipped it over while doing an unintentional hard turn at Lake Hartwell this Labor day weekend while trying to avoid an unruly bass boater. After two attempts at both of us getting back on (poor balance), the ski filled with water (bad seat seal). I didn't realize after the first time we both got on that it was sinking, and I tried to crank it a few times. I guess I was trying to compress water instead of gas at that time -- which I now understand is not very compressible! What a bonehead!

Anyway, I ended up getting a ride back to my dock, and then I towed the ski back to my dock with my boat. I then used a rope and come-along to pull the ski back on to its jet dock. I read the Kawasaki's owner's manual section on submersion, as I did at least realize that water in the engine would certainly cause rust.

Per the manual, I
          1) Removed the spark plugs
          2) I DID NOT PUT THE SPARK PLUGS ON THE GROUNDING POSTS LIKE THE MANUAL SAID (I missed that part, and the were just kind of hanging around on the head. Maybe this is my problem...)
          3) I shut of the the fuel selector and began cranking. Tons of water shot out. I repeated this process until only fine mists of water were visible.
          4) I put the plugs back in, connected the wires, turned on the fuel, and began to crank again. Surprisingly, The ski started after only 3-4 times, but it only ran for a few seconds. After a 3-4 more short run-stall cycles, it finally kept running, spewing tons of smoke out of the back. The smoke was actually normal for a cold start for my ski, given that I use Mercury Quicksilver oil (I have a Sea Doo Jet boat, too). The smoke dissipated after about 30 seconds, and I shut the motor off.

Per the manual, I set about riding it for at least 10 minutes to "dry it out." Thats when my 40 mph/4500-5000 rpm problems began.

I wonder if #$E#@ up my ski!!! Yikes!

Sorry for the long post, all. Especially since I'm a newbie who knows very little about Jet Skis, mechanically.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaMark
            The smoke was actually normal for a cold start for my ski, given that I use Mercury Quicksilver oil (I have a Sea Doo Jet boat, too).
            Sorry to kinda "hijack" the thread, could you please tell me if its the standard Quicksilver 2-stroke oil your using, or the quicksilver PCW oil?

Just got a ski, previous owner said "use quicksilver oil"..... Only he didnt say which **** one!

Thanks - from a UK Noob :)
            Always on the hunt for servicable Tigershark 770 Daytona (1996 & 1997) parts. Complete CDI anyone?? '97 I need EVERYTHING motor related... Including the Motor :)

Comment

always use PWC specified oil, the best oil for it being the stuff made by the manufacturor of the ski.

Comment

Ahh yes thats true... But i brought a tigershark ski and as most know - they aint in the business any more.

I am just fishing for ideas on what i should be using

thanks
                Always on the hunt for servicable Tigershark 770 Daytona (1996 & 1997) parts. Complete CDI anyone?? '97 I need EVERYTHING motor related... Including the Motor :)

Comment

I've heard people using quiksilver with no problems, just make sure its the type your manual recommends (ex. TC-W3), and NOT cheap oil, like walmart kind. Ski's are performance engines, and unless you'd like to be SBT's number one customer, stay away from it.

Comment

I use the Quicksilver Outboard 2-cycle (non-synthetic) . Both the synthetic and non-synthetic are TCW-3.

I have had no problems with the oil, but it tends to be very smoky at start-up, even in my Mercury engine.

Comment

Mac,

I'm definitely not a Jet ski tech, but I can't believe that your crank is bent/twisted (or mine) if you (we) are getting good bottom end performance out of our crafts, it's just not logical. Wouldn't the entire performance range suffer with a crank problem? I'm with you and definitely think that it is failure of some ignition component. Oil should not be the problem in my case since it is a low-ash (Mercury Quicksilver Outboard), TC-W3 oil (and expensive). Heck, the guy before me ran the Halvoline TCW-3 for years without a problem. When I look down at the the pistons, they appear to be fairly clean.

Could some ignition component still be wet from the submersion and the ski simply needs time to dry out? I hope so!

Comment

Working...
                      X