compression 96 GTX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: compression 96 GTX

Update I took the ski out this weekend and I am still having the same problem the ski runs great up to about 5700 rpms then after I open it up past 3/4 throttle it just shuts right off. I turned the low speed screws out a little and still had the same problem I also turned the high speeds out a little. When I pull the plugs they are dark brown/ black so I know it is getting fuel and oil. Could scratches in the RV cove cause the ski to just shut down at high rpm? I am running out of things to try here. The ski starts right back up it will start back up before it even comes to a stop with out removing the lanyard. Any info would be a great help. Thanks

Comment

Do you know if the fuel selector valve is clean, allowing enough fuel through it to keep the engine running at WOT?

Do you have an exhaust leak?

Put the carb adjusters back to factory specs.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

when i blow through the fuel lines everything seems fine I tried running the ski on reserve and it does the same thing. I dont believe there is an exhaust leak because when i take off the seat there are no fumes or smoke. The only thing that I can think of is that when i put the motor back together i saw that there were some scratches on the RV cover I dont know if that could be causing my problem?

Comment

Scratches on a rotary valve surface will not make the motor shut off. Your problem sounds like it is a fuel supply problem.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

This has been a problem since i have owned this money pit. Should i run compressed air through all the fuel lines and see if anything comes out? will this damage the lines? are zip ties strong enough to use in place of factory clamps? the ski does run great up to 40mph I could run at this speed all day soon as it is opened up it dies. if i go WOT right after i restart it it will go great for about 20-30 sec then dies.

Comment

You are describing a ski that runs out of gasoline at higher rpm, right when it needs a full flowing fuel system.

Compressed air will not hurt the fuel lines. Clamps are better than zip ties on all lines except the return lines.
              Make sure the check valve on the gas tank vent line is working properly too. If a gas tank will not get air, it will stop flowing fuel to the carbs.

Usually, this type problem lies in the fuel selector valve or the internal carb filters being clogged up. But do not rule anything out. It could be as simple as a pinched oring in the fuel seperator bowl.

If a fuel line is too loose, it may suck air instead of fuel.

You mght want to try running on reserve or with the fuel cap loossened to see if the vent line is clogged.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

thanks Bill I will try blowing air through the lines and i will check the o-ring. Where is the check valve for the fuel tank? Is it the line with the foam looking stuff in the end of the line? I will pick up some small hose clamps and try that also.

Comment

The vent line goes from the fuel baffle on top of the gas tank to the hull up by the steering head. It has a one way check valve to let air into the fuel tank. Using compressed air, blow through it and listen for air bubbling in the fuel tank.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM

Comment

Bill I checked the check valve on the vent line for the fuel tank and it seemed fine I also checked the fuel lines again and they are clear then I checked the o-ring on the fuel seperator bowl and it was missing could this draw enough air into the fuel system at high rpms to make the motor drop fast in rpms then die at WOT? I also took the fuel selector apart and checked it out there was nothing in it. Thanks agian for all the help everyone
                    Last edited by Dave96GTX; 08-24-2005, 09:10 AM.

Comment

BINGO! we have a winner!!! The missing o-ring is the culprit. Get one from the dealer, this is a square profile o-ring, not round!
                      John Kubiak
                      Powersports Technical Training Professional
                      Las Vegas, Nevada
                      Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                      PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                      PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                      NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                      Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

What would happen if I used a round o-ring? The only Sea Doo dealer isn't that close to me do you have any that I could order? thanks again

Comment

Nothing if it will seal up, but if it will not seal up, you could sieze the engine. Not worth the risk. Buy online. www.parkeryamaha.com or by pass the strainer until you can get the right oring.
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM

Comment

On the fuel lines on the carbs looking at them on the motor in the ski should the short fuel line running between the 2 carbs be conected to the lower inlets on both carbs and the return lines going to both top inlets?

Comment

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/att...tachmentid=869

Comment

parrothd is that a set up from a 787 motor? Thanks for the pic

Comment

Working...
                                X