Help..Found Trim control box full of water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help..Found Trim control box full of water

The engine is out of my 900 zxi and I am waiting on parts from SBT. In my bordom I decided to see what the inside of the trim box looks like since it seems I have read they commonly fail. Well after loosening the first cover screw water began to pour out. I knew this ski sunk before I bought it, but I thought when the previous owner had an SBT engine installed at the dealership they would have gone through it an gotten all water out....apparentley not. The trim worked before we pulled the engine out. So what should I do besides shop vac it to make sure it continues to work?
    Thanks

Re: Help..Found Trim control box full of water

I was wondering if WD-40 should be sprayed in the box once its dry..or what would keep connections from ruining? I don't see any signs corrosion yet.

Comment

WD-40 would be very good, yes. The only thing that will save it is to keep it dry :)
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Do you know if water is the usual cause of failure on these units? I just want to take any precautions I can to prevent mine from going bad while I have the case open making sure it dries out good. I have seen them, from $500 to $800 bucks depending on model installed.

Comment

Those particular units hardly ever fail, and yes water is the main cause.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I had the same problem with mine. My ski didn't sink but the water came up trough the cable from the back.My motor froze up. I pulled the motor apart and cleaned the armeture, brushes, and etc real good and it works geat! DONT forget to put sikicone on the case when you put it back together. I may have sad this once before their are two types of seal for that cable. The old style is junk and according to the local dealer they have seen many of this seal fail. Also, I have heard of people mounting the trim box a little higher in the hull to try to help with the water issue but, i would just the get the new seal. Good Luck

Comment

Working...
            X