"HOT" indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "HOT" indicator

My son drove my 1999 Polaris SLX 1050 over a shallow area and sucked up some dirt and a couple stones. Three minutes later the red light on the digital panel started flashing and a "HOT" reading started flashing. He made for a dock and shut it off within 30 seconds. I towed it home.

The intake and impeller area are clear of any debris. I'm new to PWCs so looking under the seat is still a bit of a mystery to me. It appears that cooling water comes in from on top of the impeller and travels up a hose to near the back of the motor wher it splits and goes into the exhaust riser (OK, I don't know what it's called on a PWC but that's what it's called it on a boat) and the other hose seems to go into the block. I disconnected the hose at the exhaust riser and started the motor - water shot out of the hose at a pretty good rate ao there doesn't seem to be any blockage up to that point.

The motor is a 4 months old SBT rebuild and until this it ran strong. I'm very worried about causing it damage. Any ideas on what to do next??

Thanks

Re: "HOT" indicator

Basically you should check all your water lines for blockages. Make sure your inlet in the pump is clear of any debris.

Comment

There is a screen on the fitting that goes in the top of the exhaust pipe. It's probably fine but I would pull it out and check it for peace of mind. It is the exhaust cooling orffice. Do not enlarge the hole by jamming some thing through it, just blow it out if there is debris trapped in it.
      He who dies with the most toys Still dies! So have fun with them 1970 SS 396 Chevelle, 86 ATC 250R (RAD valve,K&N, FMF gold series, bandit XC's), 97 XLT600SP (SLP tripple pipes, reverse, EPI clutch kit), 95 SL750 (all the bolt on's) & 96 SLX

Comment

I would check back by your pump outlet where the tube that runs along side of it, there should be a screen inside the pump there make sure thats not clogged, then maybe pull the thermostat down and check that.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I took it to a mechanic and he checked it for clogs. Then he “back-flushed” the system and it runs fine now. So. . .how does one “back-flush”? Is there a tool or fitting required? I assume that people who ride in salt water flush out their cooling systems after each ride so it must be a pretty common procedure but I don’t know how to do it.

Now the strange part. The mechanic fixed a couple other small problems for me and for whatever reason, decided to run a compression test. He told me mine is bad, 90-90-65psi. He tells me they should all be in the 110-120 range. I can’t understand this. This is a rebuilt motor with only seven hours on it. I broke it in according to the directions with one exception – I ran two tanks of 50:1 premix instead of one. I’ve never run it over 5500 rpm (I don’t like to go that fast, although my son did tell me he had it up to about 55mph yesterday) It’s seems to run well, but I can’t understand the low compression.

Comment

if it seems to run well for you just ride it, maybe your mechanic's gauge is wrong or he's trying to scam but if it runs well, just ride it:D

Comment

Working...
            X