Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seadoo Power Loss

Hey guys,

I've been browsing the forums for a few hours here trying to locate an answer to a problem that's similar to mine. I've found a few (kinda), but I'm still unsure.

I have a 2001 Seadoo GTX RFI model that has never had any problems in the 2 years I've ran it. I've kept it really maintained. With the gas prices so high my riding this summer almost completely ceased. The gas in the tank, at most, is about a month old. It's probably not old enough to cause any problems. It's always fired right up instantly.

The battery was dead, however, living in southern Georgia where it's 100 degrees for 7 months straight, and the battery being at least 2 years old I decided to just replace it. It has lost all it's charge over a month or two (it was dead the last time I went out, but I removed it and charged it).

On the water this week, it seemed to run fine. It ran at top speeds of 60 mph. It slung us and my passengers off numerous times. It never flipped, but it came close. None the less, after a few rounds of it pulling my friends around on the tube (it's done this no problem in the past), it ceased to go above 30-40 mph. I could accelerate it pretty rapidily to 30, 35 mph and it would start to sputter. It would bog down and flucuate in power. In idle it would run 2800 rpm and sputter down to 2700 or so and go back up.

On the hose I could rev it up to 7K rpm with no obvious flucuation. But on idle it sounds like it's skippin' a beat.

Any ideas? I'm not sure what other pertinent information might be needed to better specify my situation. I have no Limp Home mode warning lights or maint lights. My digitial display has no information about the problem. I can only speculate it's a fuel pump/filter or injector issue. It normally cranks on a one second press of the start/stop, but when it was having this issue and it was hot, it took about 3 to 4 seconds of turn over to fire. After I docked it for 2 hours, I got on it and it cranked right up. Out of the water it always cranks right up.

- C.

Re: Seadoo Power Loss

Could be as simple as fouled sparkplugs or a more complex problem like dirty fuel filter and/or injector nozzels. Hard to say from here.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
      Could be as simple as fouled sparkplugs or a more complex problem like dirty fuel filter and/or injector nozzels. Hard to say from here.
      Well, I pulled the spark plugs out and they look decent. They look.. used. But they were recently replaced about 10-20 hours run time ago. The issue I'm having now is ..where are the fuel filters? The dealers are telling me the only fuel filter is at the fuel pump, which is just a small grate you might be able to clean off. Were are the other fuel filters, if any? I'm more inclined to believe that it's a fuel filter or injector issue, over a computer controlled limp home mode. The sporatic flucuation in the revs definately don't feel computer controlled. If it is an injector problem, what do you suggest I use to clean them? Any specific fuel injector cleaner? I know the Sea-Doo manual tells me not to use any injector cleaners due to additives than can cause injector damage. So if you guys may know of specific RFI cleaning solutions, let me know!

This doesn't sound like a fuel pump problem, does it? I'd really like to rule that out because it's 400 bucks, without labor. My experiences with fuel pump problems in the past is they typically act wack when the pump starts to heat up, it loses its PSI. But I know they can do all sorts of random things as well =(. Anyway, any kind of absolute advice you guys can send me would be very much appreciated!

Comment

Sorry guys I cannot keep track when people hi-jack into a thread.
        To the fuel injected guy. Your fuel filter is in the gas tank on the end of the fuel pump. It can be cleaned or replaced. Do not try to clean the injectors unless you have ultra sonic equiptment or equiptment specifically for cleaning injector nozzels. There are shops to do have the equiptment, usually auto shops.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
        X