95 Raider 700 Water Box Bad???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Raider 700 Water Box Bad???

First let me say, I'm somewhat new to jet skis. So looking at the parts fiche for my ski (see attachment) what they call a "Water Lock" (which looks like a muffler to me by the way) is really the "Water Box???

Do these things go bad/get clogged? I'm trying to diagnose some cooling problems and discovered the following:

On the hose at idle with water supply hooked to the supply right at the jet pump (to positively ensure all water lines are clear), water circulates fine blowing 4' out the pisser. Disconnecting the exhaust water jacket line from the tail cone, water comes out the line and exhaust blows back out the fitting on the exhaust.

With everything hooked up at idle, water and exhaust blow out the opening above the ride plate.

Revving the engine at all, and water no longer blows out with the exhaust as if back pressure is preventing it from flowing from the cooling line into the exhaust. This is where I suspect I'm having cooling issues out on the water while up at speed.

Let the engine return to idle and after a few seconds, water again blows out the exhaust along with a considerable amount of oily gunk.

So I'm wondering what the 411 is on these water boxes? Do they clog up and need to be removed and cleaned? Or must they be replaced? Mine appears to be a sealed unit except for the inlet and outlet.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Do or do not - there is no "try"!

Re: 95 Raider 700 Water Box Bad???

Opps, forgot the attachment...
    Attached Files

Comment

water box on that model doesn't fail like the earlier skis....when raider pukes alot out he back, I have found that the needle and seats inside the carbs are bad causing a very rich condition...they do smoke alot and will produce some oil out the back, but if it's real bad try new needle and seats

Comment

Do these boxes cause a lot of back pressure? I noticed when reving that water stops flowing out of the the exhaust port. Once the engine returns to idle, water flow out of the exhaust returns - along with the gunk.

I'm just concerned that in the water with the additional backpressure, that cooling water flow is backing up and not flowing into the exhaust stream causing the engine and exhaust to run very warm.

Any thoughts??? I just want to make sure I'm not going to damage the engine due too overheating.

On a related note - there is a 5" hose that joins the two halve of the exhaust. It ruptured two weeks ago. I replaced it with a brand new one and it ruptured within an hour of the first trip to the water.

Comment

forget the backpressure issue...You may want to remove the tail end of the muffler and clean out the end of it...20% or so fo the cooling water flows out of it and it can easily clog with sand and corrosion...the boot you speak of is it the inner boot or outer boot? make sure all cooling lines are clear and clean out that muffler

Comment

are you talking about square box on right side of ski, We have a 94 and took it off when it started leaking into hull was cracked, we replace with 21/2 in elbow pipe. It makes it louder but runs great. I dont think there is problem running like this is there?

Comment

Working...
            X