gas flooding engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas flooding engine

My 95 750slt has been having worsening problems in the matter of days. First it would do about 20 at full throttle and then the next day about 30, and then I got it to top speed a bit later on. From there it went down hill. It would then only do 30 and then it go to the point where it was would idle but bog down and die when you gave it gas. I pulled the impulse line at turned the engine over and gas came squirting out. Is the problem related to carb or the stator not giving spark after a certain rpm. I rebuilt the carbs, but it is doing the same problem. I didn't replace the needle or float arm. Could this have anything to do with it. I just don't understand why it did it before and after the carb rebuilt. What would cause gas to load up in the cylinder. Thank you in advance

Re: gas flooding engine

I forgot one thing, when you take the spark plugs off they are real oily wet. Probably due to gas in there though.

Comment

Went to start down at the river and it was doing the same thing. I would could give it a little bit of gas but when I gave it any more it would bog down and die. With the flame arrestor off when I gave it gas you could see a bit of backfire in each cylider. Is this caused because of too much gas. I replaced the old spring back onto my carbs but I'm still having the same problem with too much gas. Can anyone help me and let me know if this is a carb problem or do you think that it may be losing spark and a higher throttle. How can I test for this. I'm going to try to do a pop off test tonight, but if that test out fine then is the stator the culprit.

Comment

I would check your reeds just to make sure there are no cracks

Comment

what would a cracked reed do

Comment

Checked the pop off with the carburetor still on the engine, and it was 20 psi per carb. I read that pop off would be a little high while on the engine, but I think that it is supposed to be around 15 psi. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have ocean pro flame arrestors. Not sure if that should change anything. If it is not the carbs, I'm thinking it's the stator. When I first got this waverunner is would bog like it is doing now and it was a stator problem. I'm hoping that is not it, but if it is not the carbs does it have to be the stator. I'm thinking if the stator isn't producing spark at high rpm's, wouldn't that cause gas to flood the engine. Help me please! If I add in another spring to raise the pop off and it does the same thing then I guess its probably the stator.
            Last edited by mecjr22; 08-22-2005, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Even if you weren't sparking, the fuel would not pool in the case like that. The only way that's possible is if it's leaking past the needle and seats. I don't think your pressure is truely holding at 20 psi. I wold try new needles & seats first.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Turned out to be my woodruff key came out and the stator was only producing enough spark to radomly start the engine. I guess from me using the choke several times and having it run at idle and trying to give it gas eventually built up some gas in the crankcase. I put the woodruff key back in and it worked great for a minute or so until it came loose again. Then I was stuck floating down the river. However, atleast I know what the problem is. The flywheel is a bit stripped around where the woodruff key sits in. I was wondering if anyone knew of an effective way to seat the woodruff key, because it doesn't seem to be seating in there right when I put it in. I ordered the part specifically, but doesn't seem to sit in there like it should. It also seems like it should stick up more from the crankcase which would help the flywheel sit on it a bit better.

Comment

I don't know why this is such a common misconception, but...

the woodruff key does NOT hold the flywheel in place! It is ONLY there as a guide for aligning the flywheel. If your flywheel came loose, 99% of the time it was not installed correctly. Either people don't torque the end nut/bolt enough, leave out the washer/sapcer, or have a damaged taper.

Comment

what is a damaged taper? thank you

Comment

The surface of the crank nose and surface of the flywheel that make contact.

Comment

Thank you, I must not have had it torqued enough since I didn't have a torque wrench. I do now, but when I took off the flywheel this morning the woodruff key was still in place. However, it sounds like the woodruff key isn't really needed if it is torqued enough. One last question before I go fix this thing. Is the torque 65 or 90. I've visted a few forums on here that are conflicting. I have a blue engine, think it is fugi, but says polaris on top of the part where I hook the water hose to it. Don't know if that matters. Thanks again for the quick responce, I would be lost without this site.

Comment

If you didn't have a torque wrench you had no business working on the ski, to be honest.

65 for Fuji, 90 for domestic.

Comment

If the woodruff key is justed used for alignment, then what exactly holds it in place. The surface of the crankshaft and inner flywheel are pretty smooth. I don't see how those two sufaces together under pressure can hold together without a woodruff key. I guess I'm just not understanding what is keeping the flywheel to the crankshaft it it is not the woodruff key. Is it just the torque of 60 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by mecjr22
                              Is it just the torque of 60 lbs.
                              Yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X