No announcement yet.

Parts required for swap/parts fitment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts required for swap/parts fitment?

Hey all-

I've already asked before about swapping my 587 out for a 720. I was told it'd be expensive as hell, etc..so I gave up on the idea.
    Just recently, especially from responses from Bill O'neal2 in other threads, he's mentioned just picking up a decent used 720 and electrical box...making it sound like less of a pain in the ***.
    I'm wondering a few things...
    Can I use my 587 jet pump, starter, driveshaft, on a 720 setup?
    I know I'd need complete 720 motor with carbs and exhaust and electrical box.
    Anything else I'd need?....assuming jet pump, driveshaft, starter from 587 would fit the 720.
    Need a techie reply on this one....
    I'm a newbie...
    The Plan: Back to square one

Re: Parts required for swap/parts fitment?

You can use your starter driveshaft pump but you may want to change your impellor to get optimum performance. you can also use your rotary cover and oil pump

Comment

I won't be using an oil pump...oil block off kit :)
      Rotary cover...don't know a whole lot about jet ski powerplants...what is the rotary cover, where is it, and what does it do?
      kind of a "duh" statement, but the rotary cover...covers the rotary valve, right? what does the rotary valve do?
      I'm a newbie...

Comment

A rotary valve on a two stroke does the same job as reeds. On a 4 stroke, it does what the intake valves do. It is timed to allow the air/fuel mixture from the carbs into the motor at the correct time. The RV cover does cover the RV and it is right under your intake manifold bolted to the side of your motor.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks for clarifying that Bill.

Does anyone have the time to give me a quick shopping list of what I would need for a swap to a 720? I have a complete 587 white setup except for starter and impeller.
          I'm a newbie...

Comment

720 Engine and bedplate.

All the rest of your parts COULD be used on the 720, but if you can buy it with the carb on it, it would be better. Your carb would need rejetting.Also, the 720 high performance tuned oem pipe and waterbox makes more power than the older style exhaust system from an SP model. If your stator has 5 wires coming out of it, it may work with your electrical system. If not, you will need the 720 electrical box. Starter motors are interchangable, as are pumps and driveshafts.
            587 white motors built after 1992 have the same stator and flywheel as many 657 and all 720 models.

Pre 1992 587 motors use a different flywheel and stator assembly and a different ignition. If you have one of those, buy the 720 engine with the 720 stator, flywheel and electrical box.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

Okay, thanks for all that info.
              I have a 93, so it seems as though my stator and flywheel would fit a 720.
              Will I need the 720 electrical/ignition box, although my stator and flywheel would fit? I still need to physically check my stator though, haven't had time to do that yet.
              I'd definitely be going for the high performance oem exhaust and waterbox.
              Thought about a Mikuni 44 carb...any real advantages over OEM 720 carb if I'm going basically stock?
              I'm a newbie...

Comment

No big advantage from going to the 44.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

What exactly is the bedplate?
                  I'm a newbie...

Comment

the part that the motor sits on in bottom of hull

Comment

Thanks for letting me know.
                      If anyone knows of any other parts that I would need that haven't been discussed yet, post it!:emoticont
                      I'm a newbie...

Comment

Working...
                      X