Removing the Driveshaft coupler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the Driveshaft coupler

I have a cousin that is trying to remove the flywheel and Driveshaft coupler off his 1050 motor is there a secret. He got the nut off that holds the flywheel in place but cant get the flywheel to slide off nor can he get the Coupler in back of engine to budge. Help please.

Re: Removing the Driveshaft coupler

Tech articles, engine install/removal guides - covers everything.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

in general (and since I don't own one of these it may not apply), try using a torch to lightly heat metal-on-metal parts that are stuck.

Comment

It doesn't slide off, you need a puller.
        He who dies with the most toys Still dies! So have fun with them 1970 SS 396 Chevelle, 86 ATC 250R (RAD valve,K&N, FMF gold series, bandit XC's), 97 XLT600SP (SLP tripple pipes, reverse, EPI clutch kit), 95 SL750 (all the bolt on's) & 96 SLX

Comment

Flywheel: Get a good puller and tighten as much as possible, even using an impact wrench if you have one. With the puller under max tension, lightly heat the shaft area being carefull not to damage the wiring inside the stator. Bang on the end of the puller bolt to help jar the flywheel loose. Sometimes if you walk away for 10 mins, it will pop off on its own. Just use patience. If all fails, take motor to your favorite garage.

Coupler: Turn crank until the piston closest to the coupler is half way up, then run rope down the spark plug hole filling up the cylinder with rope (keep some sticking out the hole for removal). Turn the coupler until rope is compresed. Bang like hell with large monkey wrench on coupler. It will come off. If the coupler has no rubber inside, use light heat to help break any loctite that may be on the threads.

I've only done one motor but the above worked for me. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X