Solution to Bad SL750 Driveshaft Bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solution to Bad SL750 Driveshaft Bearing

Long story short.... driveshaft bearing wore out which caused seals to go and the ski to take on water.

My solution.... see below. Bored bearing/bushing out to larger diameter and machined a brass bushing to go inside it. I then broached a keyway slot for grease to travel down to the 3 radial slots. This way I should have adequate grease keeping the bushing well lubed.

Tell me what you think. 8)

Doug
    Attached Files

Re: Solution to Bad SL750 Driveshaft Bearing

Good job. that's exactly what i would have done if i needed to, except for the keyway slot. Let us know how it hold up.

Comment

Originally posted by addicted
      Good job. that's exactly what i would have done if i needed to, except for the keyway slot. Let us know how it hold up.
      Since I'm always open to suggestions or ways to do things better, is there a reason you wouldn't be comfortable with the keyway? Thanks again!:D

Doug

Comment

Since it is a void in the surface, as it wears out it will tend to make the bore oval. Also, if the seals do go, there is that much room for more water to get through, and that little thing is all that is holding back the water. I would have just made a good clearance fit .002"-.003" and let the grease get forced through.

I don't think it will wear out very soon, but let us know how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by addicted
          Since it is a void in the surface, as it wears out it will tend to make the bore oval. Also, if the seals do go, there is that much room for more water to get through, and that little thing is all that is holding back the water. I would have just made a good clearance fit .002"-.003" and let the grease get forced through.

I don't think it will wear out very soon, but let us know how it works.
          I see what you're saying. I machined a clearance of 0.003" and hope that should be sufficient. If the seals do happen to fail, I'm sure I would notice since I'm pretty anal about checking for water in the hull. I'll keep everyone posted.

Doug

Comment

Working...
          X