sl650 won't plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sl650 won't plane

Hello all, I am new to this forum as well as to personal watercrafts. I was practically given a 1995 Polaris SL650 from a friend who said that it didn't run. I went through the fuel system first and replaced everything...lines, filters, pump, cleaned the tank, cleaned the carbs and jets, installed new plugs and charged the battery. As it so happened, it crunk on the first try. The engine sounds healthy and cranks right up, but when I put it in water it will not plane. I am an engineer as well as an avid dirtbike rider and am comfortable around small engines, but I have no idea what or where much of anything inside this PWC is. What are the first things that I should look for to fix before tearing into anything too major? I hate being passed by old men in canoes. Thanks.

Re: sl650 won't plane

Try doing a compression test on it. Look under tech artiles.

Comment

If comp is good, check the plug gap, and pop off the plug boots, trim a 1/4" or so until you see clean copper, and screw the boots back on.

Does pulling the choke while riding help? If so it is a fuel delivery issue.

Comment

I am going to check the compression tonight. The plug gaps are fine, but I hadn't even thought about trimming the plug wires back. I tried pulling the choke while it was in the water and the engine nearly died, flooding I presume, so the fuel delivery is likely okay. I am going to put it back in the water in the morning and see what happens. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X