No announcement yet.

Bought a new F12X... some questions(??)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a new F12X... some questions(??)

Just bought a new 2004 F12X about a month ago. Did the proper break-in procedure and had it back to the dealer for the 10 hour first service and oil change.
    I plan on doing my own oil changes in the future. The manual suggests changing the oil every 50 hours and filter every 100 hours. I'm thinking of changing the oil more frequently... maybe every 25 hours, along with the filter... yes?? No???
    Also the dealer said I MUST use Honda oil. It's a 10W-40 synthetic blend and costs 10 something a quart!!!! Would it be OK to use another brand oil, maybe Mobil 1 full synthetic or not???
    Has anyone with this ski noticed a subtle rattling sound coming from the rear of the ski around 4000 RPM & up??? It's hard to tell if it's coming from the engine compartment or just the noise of the water on the hull...... Alot of wind whistling by at that speed too, so I dunno'.... Maybe it's something, maybe it's nothing.... I mentioned it when I brought it in for service, but they didn't find anything wrong with it..... It's under warranty for a year, so I'm not too worried about it yet.
    Any info, tips, or pointers about maintenance anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated!! I'd like to do everything right and enjoy many years of trouble free riding!!! I ordered the Honda service manual, but the dealer say's they take a LONG time to arrive!!!!
    BTW: The F12X is a fun ride!!! Handles extremely well, runs quietly, has a good top end speed, and is very stable in the water (for the wife). It DOES lack a little in raw acceleration (compared to 2 strokes), but overall we are VERY happy with it!!!
    Thanks in advance.

Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act

Time to get real familiar with this legislation...The only FTC link that I have found is written from a manufacturer's point of view, but it does specify that you cannot demand use of a specific service/repair item/part/supply unless that item/part/supply is provided FREE OF CHARGE!!!!

Get familiar with the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm

Then go to the dealer and DEMAND your FREE ITEMS!!! You and I both know that you won't get them, they will have to back down on their claims of a voided warranty!
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Re: Bought a new F12X... some questions(??)

Trailbum, I have a new '04 as well. I love the ski. But yes, mine does have a slight vibration at around 4k rpms. I think that is pretty normal. Also, when there is a decent wind and you have what I call wind chop, there is a slapping sound on the bottom of the hull from those bumps in the water. I've noticed that I don't really hear the noises as much anymore (I have 13 hrs. on my ski).

There is the slight hesitation waiting for the turbo to spool up coming out of the hole, but once the turbo hits, it's supposed to be slightly faster than the Kawi STX-15F from 20-35 and from 35 to top speed, with the Kawi having about a 1 mph top speed advantage.

To me, the F-12X is an extremely smooth ski and has a very soft riding and playful hull. It carves great and has probably some of the best ergonomics of any ski out there. It is VERY comfortable to ride.

Oh, and the F-12X has the best fuel economy of any of the luxury 3-seaters (the VX-110 and the STX-12F are considered economy 3-seaters) when cruising in the 35 to 45 mph range. But that's not true at WOT. It has the 2nd worst! 3.1 gph at 35, but 12.2 gph at WOT.

Hope you enjoy yours!

Comment

You Honda Turbo guys should get one of these...

http://www.macsboost.com/

Was riding yesterday with a guy that had it on his '04 Turbo, and he raced a turbo without the mod, and it was UGLY, it is a good mod for your Honda, helps out a LOT.

Comment

Originally posted by chadc
          You Honda Turbo guys should get one of these...

http://www.macsboost.com/
          Yeah, I know. I've been reading all about it. Everyone is impressed with the increased performance vs. the price. But my ski is new and seems plenty fast right now. Maybe as it seems slower and slower as I get used to it (all skis do), I can consider it. Also, I don't have $400 to spare right now.

It's pretty cool that you can install a chip in less than 5 minutes and get that kind of performance boost. The great thing is that if you need to take your ski in for warranty work, you can remove the module real quick so your warranty won't be voided.

Comment

Yeah, he did a really good job with it.

Comment

I have 70 some hours on my 2003 F-12X and no problems to report.

The quiet is refreshing in our sport. On two seperate occasions last year I had fisherman comment about how quiet it is.

Fuel economy on the Honda is impressive! I rode with someone on a Sea-Doo 4 Tec a while back. It was naturally aspirated. The trip was 25 miles in smooth water and 25 miles in 2-4 foot conditions. We hit it pretty hard on the way up lake and bounced all the way back. We both started with full 16ish gallon tanks. The Sea Doo needed fuel on the way up and was near empty on the way back. I still had two bars, but I was expecting the low fuel beeper anytime.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys!!! Can anyone recommend running a full synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 in the F12X, or stick with the Honda brand synthetic blend???
                Also, does anyone know what speed/RPM the turbo kicks in??? With the price of gas, I'd like to stay out of the turbo!!!:emoticonr

Comment

Trailbum, most say you should not use synthetic until after 20 or 25 hrs. Regular mineral-based motor oil helps the engine break-in better. But after that, the synthetics should help your engine last even longer. Go over to www.pwctoday.com and do a search in the Honda forum on "oil". You will find a lot of information there about the synthetics that others are using.

The turbo does not kick in based on rpm. It has more to do with vacuum (I think). If you nail it out of the hole, the turbo kicks in at a much lower rpm than if you just gradually increase throttle. What I have found is that you can cruise up to about 50 mph, and as long as you don't accelerate hard suddenly, then the turbo isn't much of a factor.

Don't accelerate suddenly. Give it gas gradually, and keep your rpms below 5,200 or so, and you won't spool the turbo up very much.

If saving gas is your thing, the Honda is one of the best if you stay out of the turbo. If you ride with turbo boost a lot, it's one of the worst. A recent magazine shootout put the Honda at 3.1 gph at 35 mph cruise, but at 12.2 gph at WOT. That's a huge difference!

Comment

Use the honda oil filter during the warranty period. Use the honda or purolator one filter after warranty. No exceptions. Inventor of the macboost uses purolator one.
                    97 venture11/1200, 01gp12r stage1, 02F12X
                    dav_dman@yahoo.com

Comment

Thanks again for the replies!!! Towed it 800 miles (each way!!) last week up to my camp in Maine!!! Took it out on the big lake and WOW!!! What fun on open water!! The F12X demolishes waves and is very stable even in fairly windy & rough conditions!!! I kept out of the turbo 99% of the time and fuel economy was very impressive!! It's amazing how fast I could get from point A to point B even while keeping the speed under 50MPH!!! The wife had a mishap with a large rock, but the fiberglass hull remained intact and the damage is only cosmetic (gel coat) on the very bottom of the craft.... A batch of Marine Tex will fix her right up (the ski, not the wife!!):D

Okay, one last question... does anyone have the Purolater One oil filter number for the F12X and where can I obtain or find Purolator filters for PWC's??? I bought enough Honda oil filters from the dealer to last through the warranty period. Thanks again!!!:emoticont

Comment

Boost is actually a good thing on the turbo for efficiency. But yes, when WOT, you start making lots of power which eats that gas you are trying to save.

by increasing boost pressure at cruising speeds, macsboost has the potential to increase gas mileage as long as you stay away from WOT.
                        -[\/]ac<br /> <a href="http://www.MACSBOOST.com" target="_blank"><B>www.MACSBOOST.com</B></a> Plug in 20+HP for your Honda Turbocharged Watercraft
                        <a href="http://www.TeamTweek.com" target="_blank"><B>www.TeamTweek.com</B></a> TeamTweek Watercraft Racing Forums

Comment

Working...
                        X