Options for impeller housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for impeller housing

[img]/graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img] I had replaced my engine with a sbt unit. While the motor was out I turned the impeller shaft and found that it rubbed during most the turning. So, not wanting to go through it all again, I decided to ask for advice here about inspection and why it was catching. I was led to a company called Impros in CA. I called them and they told me to send the housing and impeller in and they would inspect it and give me a estimate. Things went bad from the start. I got a phone call asking me why I sent the stuff, then was told the tech would call me later that day. No one called for 4 days. Then promised me the completed work in 2 days to my door. It took 8 days with no returned phone calls until the 8th day. He did give me some tips on installation. So I though maybe just bad timing. Well I installed everything and could not wait to break it in, especially with the new prop. I waited till we got to the water to try to fire it up. It did not crank over at all, something was binding. Today I find that after removing the motor, the shaft does not turn, closer inspection shows the prop catching on the impeller housing. The reason I sent this unit to these people was because I did not have the experience and they are pros. The housing seems to be lumpy, any one know what causes this? Also what are my options for fixing this the right way? So much for saving a few bucks by fixing rather than replacing. Please give me some feedback and I will keep you posted as to any explanations Impros gives. Thanks

My ski is a 1999 Yamaha SUV. This job, ( replacing the engine and tearing down the pump to send to impros to diagnose) was the first time the pump had been disassembled since it was purchased new. Thanks for your feedback so far, because I was really feeling snookered. I sent my pump and impeller and I seemed to have gotten was being upsold on a new impeller.

Comment

BTW, I dont know what you are refering to as far as a wear ring. What is it? I cant find any mention of it even in the parts book diag.
      Thanks

Comment

Yamaha calls the "wear ring" "housing, impeller" and the impeller stator housing is the "duct, impeller". maybe this is why there is confusion.
        John Kubiak
        Powersports Technical Training Professional
        Las Vegas, Nevada
        Sea-Doo Tech 13736
        PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
        PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
        NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
        Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Usually dave stands behind his work. I suggest you call him up and SPEAK directly to him and tell him the situation.
          also the bumps and swelling is most likely caused from sale water although its more comon on kawasaki than yamaha. do you have shims on the pump for the top bolts? if so if they were installed incorrectly the pump is misaligned and that causes the inpeler to rub on the wear ring portion
          Call Dave up and speak to him directly they should of machined the wear ring and fitted a new wear ring in
          Rob

Comment

what ski is this. most of the time Yamahas have a wear ring that is separate from the vane portion of the pump so thats usually replaceable.
            Rob

Comment

I've had nothing but good luck with his work, and with the dozens and dozens of refferals, I can say there has only been a couple very minor problems, whuch were promptly takern care of to the customer's satisfaction.

Comment

Let's get some facts straight here Brian, because you're leaving alot out here.
                The reason the employee didn't know why you sent the pump was because there was no clear note with the parts. The reason it was here longer than promised was because my wife had an unexpected surgey, and I wasn't here to take care of it- this was explained to you on the phone by me, and I'm sorry for that, but under the circumstances, there is nothing I can do about that.
                I do not have any record of you sending the pump housing with the shaft and impeller, so there is no way for us to see whether or not the houdsing was bulged from salt water. You sent a pump that had the shaft pressed out from the wrong direction, with bad bearings. Because of the delay, I old you a new impeller for my cost, and pressed in new bearings and seals, for only the cost of the parts- no labor.
                I'm not sure what else I could do to help you Brian, but re-sleeve the wear-ring. If you'd like to send it, we would be happy to take care of it for $215.00.
                Thank you,
                David Stewart

Comment

...and there's the rest of the story - sounds more than fair to me!

Comment

Just got a call from Brian (nexis1).
                    It doesn't seem that we'll be able to do business Brian, because all you wanted to do was yell and scream about the timing and that we didn't fix the housing- We didn't have the housing to be able to determine if it was bad.
                    I would be happy to help you with the problem, from what it sounds, the housing is bulged from salt water use, like Raider1100 said- very common with the Yamaha and Kawasaki housings.
                    Good luck with the ski.
                    David Stewart

Comment

I recently had a customer like that - nothing you say or do will help - you just have to cut your line.

Comment

Dave do you really believe you are the victim here? Changing the facts wont help you. Calling your customers names on the phone wont help. Why dont you start by telling the truth DAVE. I called you to ask about why you had not inspected the pump housing I sent you and you started right in asking why should even talk to me, calling me a "skurd" and other unmentionables. Any customer would become very angry at that time. YOu DAVE are very unprofessional. If you really had an emergency, which I would have no problem with as long as I was told there would be a delay, but you told no one, you did not even answer your phone or the person who didnt know why I sent the parts.

Comment

Dave btw why dont you tell them how you tried to keep my customers old impeller, how you told me to return the impeller you upsold before you would return the old impeller and how you said you would keep it as a core. YOU dont charge cores on new impeller. YOu are just a sneaky thief. YOu are dishonest. when I talk to you on the phone about the pump and impeller interference, you mentioned nothing of swelling as a matter of fact you upsold me on bearings I did not need. Why would I send you the pump twice. Should have taken care of it the first time. Face dave I am a customer, a business customer and you blew it. The whole time I was on the phone you tried to talk with you, you spent the whole time blaming everyone from your wife to your employees.
                          The bottom line is I wanted a pump and impeller inspected and fixed. YOu failed and you call yourself a pro. I could have bought the impeller from anyone at any time. If you dont refund the money for the bearing and the overcharge on shipping I will refute the charges on the card. There you go one customer voting with his wallet. I gave you a chance and enough rope to hang yourself.

Comment

Bryan Glynn I cant understand your stand on this, since you recommended this creep. You have the gall to stand here and stand up for this guy. I get screwed, lose lots of time and you think this is how business gets done. I am also a customer of sbt. a business customer. If this is acceptable to you, then maybe I should let sbt know how I feel about that and take my business elsewhere. When I decided to expand my business to include watercraft, people warned me that the industry was filled with kids and adults that act like kids. When my customer asked why his craft was 2 1/2 weeks overdue, I explained to him that it was our fault as we were still having problems finding reliable vendors and I apoligized. I didnt stand there pointing fingers calling my customer names. Bryan what is your position with sbt?

Comment

I've used impros and found Dave to be very professional.

I've also purchased a rebuilt motor from SBT and found them to be excellent as well.

Go cut up your credit cards also since both SBT and Impros accept credit cards, the CC companies must be out to get you also.

Go soak your head.

[ August 13, 2002, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: slag ]

Comment

Working...
                              X