GTX 4TEC SC Check Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTX 4TEC SC Check Engine

I have a GTX 4 Tec that has been popping the check engine light and dropping me into a limp home mode (low RPM) with only a single loud audible warning. Some have told me it is because the engine is overheating. However, the water is 80 degrees here and the air temperature barely over 80. I can't possibly imagine that to be too high a operating temp.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Thanks

-Robert

Re: GTX 4TEC SC Check Engine

It could be low oil pressure.......
    What has the lake water temp and the temp of the air got to do with an overheating motor?

The 4 Tec has a closed cooling system. It could have some type of overheating problem.

Don't ride it until you figure out what is going on with it.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

The cooling system is closed at the engine side. However, there is a heat exchanger that is coupled to the water side. Hence, water temp gradient to engine temp is important. Afterall, heat has to go somewhere.

How can I check to see if I have adequate oil pressure?

thanks

-Robert

Comment

Yes I understand the heat exchanger system, but the engine runs at about 200 degrees. I doubt many lakes have water that hot. LOL!

You may be low on oil, or have a faulty oil sending unit. Also, in order to protect the electronics, if voltage drops too low from a bad battery or charging problem, the ski will go into limp mode. If it drops furter, it will shut off the ignition.

You may need to go to a dealership and have them connect their laptop to it to pinpoint the problem.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

Thanks a bunch. That is a great start. Thanks for the heads up. I will be taking it into the dealership tonight.

Is there a way to get the ski to show the defect codes as you can on a car (ie: flash blink the code number by shorting out pins on the OBD connector?)

Thanks for the great advise, I really appreciate it.

-Robert

Comment

There are several components of the engine management systems that are responsible for putting the engine into a limp mode, including the CTS, EGT, OPS, OSPS and TOPS.

When the limp mode is activated, a fault code is recorded into the MPEM, which can be retrieved by using the VCK and BUDS software at any authorized SD dealership.
            I do not suggest that you try and hack into the system.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

You can put on the lanyard and hit the set button 5 times and it will show any current codes. Won't work if you already took the lanyard off after the code tripped, it will reset. Probably one of the oil pressure switches causing this problem.

Comment

Too much oil will also cause it to go into limp mode. How does that look?

Comment

Opps! a 4 Tec. Wrong answer erased.
                  As fedrov said, you can check for fault codes using the set button 5 times.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM

Comment

Working...
                  X