X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 GTX Ltd. and 97 GSX Miss

Hey yall!
    Two problems a newb could use some advice on:

1-99 GTX Ltd.--Miss/Hesitation out of the hole. Runs perfect otherwise.

2-97 GSX (800)--Runs perfect except for strong miss from 3600-4600 rpm. Little low on top rpm's (6550). New SBT engine just thru break-in.

Stock settings all around.

Appreciate any advice.

Warren

Re: 99 GTX Ltd. and 97 GSX Miss

Anytime you have a miss in a Sea Doo engine, other than some on the newer models like the 4 strokes, you should first remove the sparkplug boots and clip the wires and reinstall the sparkplug boots. Many times, you will notice that the wire cores are mostly gone due to repeated arcing of the wires to the sparkplug boots.

All rave valve motors surge at mid rpms, due to the rave valve fluctuating up and down as pressure spikes and drops in the exhaust ports or engine crankcases. Do not confuse this with an ignition problem.

A hesitation from takeoff could indicate that the accellerator pump is not working properly, usllay because the brass nozzel(s) are clogged up. Or, maybe you just need to adjust the low speed adjusters a bit further out.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks for the response Bill. The wires are new on the GSX so I assume they don't need to be clipped when new. I can certainly try to trim them and see if it helps.

I would not consider what I am experiencing a surge. It feels like a miss but it is pretty strong. Is there a need or a way to calibrate or adjust the springs in the rave valves?

Thanks,
      Warren

Comment

The red cap adjusters are there for your entertainment in tuning your ski, set them wherever you think they are doing the best for your motor. Up or down, they do not cause misses in the ignition.

Misses are caused by fouled sparkplugs, bad sparkplug lead connections, bad coils, pickups or stator problems. A bad rectifier can emit some really bad RF interferences with the CDI. Make sure you have BR8ES sparkplugs, not B8ES.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

newskier, please post what you find, I also have been trying to find the same issue with a 97 GSX 800, newwires didn't help, went maticucluosly thro the carbs, and did the carb kits, it made a slight improvement( but not much), next, I'm thinking is a coil, be my next thing to try on mine when I have time. Seems to miss up untill 4000-4400 on mine. New plugs, compression @ 15o each cylinder, been doing alot of reading, had suggestions of the rotary valve seal leaking, another suggestion a crankshaft seal............hope it doesn't take me that far. So to summarize, trying a coil next with new plugs.Keep me posted on your trouble shooting:emoticont

Comment

K0ke,
            I will let you know what I found. Clipped the wires and found the rave valve was not screwed out per the manual. Probably will not put in this weekend for the following problem that I could use some advice on:

The 99 GTX has or does have a water leak out of the head pipe that has been dripping on the carbs. When I went to adjust the low speed screws, the mag carb screw froze and one of the twist handles broke off. Can't move it now and I have to pull the carbs to repair.

The question is, can I get the head pipe gasket replaced (I have the kit with the external foam surround) without pulling that whole unit? Want it done right but still looking for ease. Thanks for any advice.
            Warren

Comment

sorry Warren, can't help you on the GTX issue, I never worked on one, however, if it's a broken off mixture screw, I use reverse drill bits to get them out.

Comment

Oh thore plugged fittings for the accelerator pumps! :emoticonc

Comment

Begin long-winded post here...

Regarding the 99 GTX-L mentioned in my first post--went to check low speed screws and snapped one off as I was turning in. Discovered there was/is a water leak from the header pipe. R/R the header pipe and no water or exhaust leaks now. Partially rebuilt the carbs, cleaned out the accel pump nozzles (were blocked) replaced some of the orings and, diaphragms and seals, and both low speed screws. Took it out today and hard to start, and accelerates slowly and has a funky sound to it while running, like a miss but its not a miss. WOT and idle are ok, just difficult to start and poor acceleration.

May be as simple as low speed screw adjustment (currently set to spec) or a hose leak. Any ideas?

Warren

Comment

I have an idea. If you have a "hose leak" fix it. If the low speed adjusters need further adjustment, do it.
                    Have you clipped the sparkplug wires yet?
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM

Comment

Great idea. I'll give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                      X